Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SURGERY RESCHEDULED

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well everyone,

Two hours before my surgery the NS office called and told me that she can not do my surgery today because of an emergent case soooo........

They will try to bump someone else for wednesday but if they can't then I have to wait till January 7th!!!

I can't wait this long....omg.. i am furious right now. Nothing like waiting till 2 hours before surgery to cancel.
advertisement

Comments

• *But* At least you were not the emergency! I hope that they get you rescheduled real soon so that you can be on the road to recovery.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • How awful. I know you prepared yourself for this big event and that was a letdown. Well, I hope you do well during this waiting period and just use the time to get other things ready that you might have not gotten to. Hang in there..
  • I am sorry you got rescheduled. I know you probably wanted to do it and get it over with. Just think, now you have more time to perfect your toilet tongs =))
  • I was thinking about you at 2PM today and figured that you were in surgery. How awful to have to go through the anticipation and waiting all over again. That really stinks and I am so sorry to hear it. Maybe it was a legitimate emergency like a life and death situation though. I know that doesn't make it any easier but it could have been a valid last minute true emergency.
  • i don;t blame the NS, she went to do the surgery before me and when they opened up the patient, it was way worse inside than the MRI showed , so a simple two hour operation turned into a 4-6 hour operation.

I am completely out of my mind cause they said I might have to wait till January 7 or so to be rescheduled. I am in pain, I am tired of it all and I just want it over with. Workmans comp is not paying me enough to be out of work and all my bills are behind, i have creditors calling me and I am out of my mind.

Damn, I feel so depressed I don;t know what to do. I am wondering what will happen if I try to go back to work. It's not the ideal situation, but creditors could care less what my sad story is.

Ugh ugh ugh :S

• Wow, sorry Dina! You are the third person of late who I have seen have their surgery resheduled. That is such a letdown. I hope they can squeeze you in soon so you don't have to wait until January. Good-luck with that, >:D< Sue
  • I'm so sorry! I know how you feel because it almost happened to me last Thursday. I was butt naked in my lovely oversized hospital gown when a young man about 25 years old comes in and plops on my bed and says, "Let me mark your neck for where we will be opening you up for surgery". I said, "You?! Where is MY surgeon?" "I am, and Dr So and So too, but I'll be assiting." Like hell you will!

I almost cancelled the surgery 15 minutes before the operation! I was in tears! I researched for weeks and found the doctor I wanted only to learn in the last minutes that he would have residents in there peering around-maybe even poking around! The surgeon finally came in and relieved my fears but I know how you feel. He said I could cancel and do it another time if I needed time to think about it. But you get all pysched up for the day and to do anything but the operation seems like a disaster. I feel for you, but it was not something you could control so take a breath and think positive. Your operation will happen and when it does it will be all good. Think those thoughts :) Good luck!
  • because from your last posts, I gathered your surgery was some what emergent as well. I'm surprised they would make you wait that long.

Hang tight. Everything does happen for a reason, even though it may seem hard. And I myself am a very "instant gratification" person, so I can only imagine how hard having to wait is.

I'm so sorry for your situation. My husband and I have had some pretty tough times with me not being able to work, so I understand how it feels. Just remember it is out of your control.

Caity
  • I know how hard it is to mentally prepare and then have it cancelled. I had hand surgery scheduled once and got to the hospital they had given me all my meds then took my temperature and found out I had a fever and therefore cancelled surgery. So at least you weren't already in gown! Now I ask that they take my temp first. Hnag in there. You'll still be in all of our thoughts and prayers.
  • Yep, they all keep telling me I need this surgery ASAP but then put me off. It's a lot of hurry up and wait. I do like my surgeon, but I think I might start looking around for another one.

Not only is the left foot drop getting worse, I am starting to have back pain on the right side (that was never there before) and daily almost constant headaches....

Thank you everyone for your suport, Hopefully I will get a call today when the surgery is going to happen.

• It sounds like your surgeon was "wiped out" from the case before you - and didn't want to press not be 100% physically and mentally alert for your case. A doctor that knows their limtis and when they can not give a patient 100% is a good doc! There are some surgeons that would just try to get as many cases done in a day as possible regardless of how they felt.
  • i'm sorry you're surgery was moved to a later time. Please do look after yourself and that includes getting your blood pressure checked when you have those headaches. Imagery is a great distraction and picturing yourself laying on the beach by the ocean is one I use to relax especially having to wait. I hope you don't get bumped again though. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement