Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone who had an ALIF done this?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all :H My ALIF is scheduled for December 18th. I had to go meet with the vascular surgeon today who will be assisting the OS. All was fine until he said "you will have a nasal gastric tube 1-2 days after surgery" :O

Just curious if anyone else has had one of these attachments post-op and what I should expect. Thanks... :)
advertisement

Comments

• I did not have the nasal gastric tube. Did you ask him why you needed this? I had a lot of issue with constipation immediately after this surgery because of them pushing all of the organs aside to access the spine. I told my surgeon I felt like a tractor trailer truck ran over me and he said well one did! He had to go through my back during the same surgery because of scar tissue from previous surgeries so that added to my discomfort too. But my screws and plate are all placed in from the stomach and I have never had discomfort from them.
    I hope all goes well for you. Just remember to have plenty of patience and take things slowly. Your need for several Lami/Disc. seem to follow my story. I hope this is your final surgery and takes care of all of your problems.
    Julie
  • I get to meet my vascular surgeon on the 15th right before we go in joy of joys. def let us know about the nasal tube.
  • Rich, I will keep you posted ;)Best of luck to you with your surgery :) Julie, he said that he wanted to use it for a day or two to help relieve post-op nausea and to "decompress" the stomach from gas build up and other tummy issues that can occur after surgery. I wanted to tell him that I would be more than happy to work on the gas issue on my own =)) Trust me, this little booger (no pun intended) has me more anxious than the surgery now :SS silly, huh??
  • about it cause you will have so much medication in you by that time you won't mind it and then afterwards you and I will be here laughing about it. I will be here for you if you need the support!! The toughest time for me for any of my surgeries was once I got home. This one was the worst since it was number 3 in 7 months or so. My surgeon said each subsequent surgery is harder to recover from and I had to stop being so hard on myself to be up and doing. I had so much discomfort in my bowels after my surgery that I begged for an enema. Of course, I do clean out people's bowels in my business and my own so I did it myself finally when I could convince them the pills weren't working and magnesium citrate did nothing. I about busted. Take the help gracefully, cause obviously he has seen benefit in this tube. So get yourself prepared at home and every time you think about it, just let it go, and tell yourself you trust your doctors to do their best for you. Hopefully, soon your mind will be onto other stuff by then.
    Hugs,
    Julie
  • Thanks for your support, Julie! yes, I'm sure after I get home, It will all seem more humorous :))( I agree with you, just get it out of my mind and deal with it when the time comes! Hope you are doing well! >:D<
  • My L5 S1 was ALIF and I did not have an NG tube. Could he mean just in the OR? I did not have any gas build up at all....had lots with my gall bladder removal 3 yrs ago but not with the ALIF. You could phone your OS and mention it to his nurse or PA and see if that's a normal course of action for his ALIF patients...they usually work with the same vascular surgeons repeatedly.
advertisement