Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumber pain going into legs

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone. so a short introduction. had PLIF to L3 L4 about 12 months ago. This was to treat chronic pain in my back and pins and needles to my thighs. About six months after surgery the symptoms came back. The thing is is that its not their all the time. If i'm pottering about the house its not much problem. However, if i go for a very short walk, ie around a shop it begins. The pain is so intense that i have to sit. Severe numbness occurs to my thighs with sharp stabbing pains and pins and needles. After sitting for about 20 minutes i can again walk a short while before the same senario starts again. My consutant says the my mri reveals no problems and further surgery is not called for. My doctor wants to prescibe me oxycontin, but this med will have me spaced out most of the time. I have been refered to the pain clinic and i think i will wait to see them before trying any narcotics. Is this normal for people after surgery to have this form of come and go back pain? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry your surgery was not a complete success. ~X( you might find your pm has more to offer than just meds. don't sell yourself short and be in pain unnecessarily. many of us take meds every day and live full and productive lives. good luck and i hope you find pain relief soon. check out the "Chronic Pain" forum for some more input. Jenny :)
  • I am sorry you have had a re-occurance of symptoms. Is your doc not able to offer any suggestions to the possible source of pain?
    I like understanding the pain sources, even if they are best guesses. It helps me cope with the pain.
    Also, perhaps go and see a PT to get an assessment. It may be a posture thing of muscle fatigue?
    Finally, Don't be too scared of the meds. Pain inhibits healing because it causes spasm and reduces oxygen and nutrients to the injured part of the body.

I think you should give the PM team a go. see what they suggest.
    Good luck
  • itsalongwalk said:
    I am sorry you have had a re-occurance of symptoms. Is your doc not able to offer any suggestions to the possible source of pain?
    I like understanding the pain sources, even if they are best guesses. It helps me cope with the pain.
    Also, perhaps go and see a PT to get an assessment. It may be a posture thing of muscle fatigue?
    Finally, Don't be too scared of the meds. Pain inhibits healing because it causes spasm and reduces oxygen and nutrients to the injured part of the body.

I think you should give the PM team a go. see what they suggest.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the comments from you both. The reason i have avoided the meds is that when im at home doing nothing i have very little pain, more of a hindrence than anything else. Its only if i stand to long or I walk that the pain becomes intense, or if i drive to much. I am due to go back to work in Jan and i have an intense job that requires a great deal of attention. I worry that i may not be able to work due to the meds. Hence, i thought that waiting for the pain clinic might be the best option. But again im unsure. So I dont know what to do at the moment.
  • I'm on a strong medication Schedule II med like Oxycontin called Fentanyl patches for chronic pain. Long acting meds are supposed to control pain all throughout the day. I never had euphoria or felt altered on it. My mind is crystal clear.
    Everyone reacts differently to medications of course and this is my experience on this. My story is similar to yours, but in my care the pain never improved after surgery. I hope your appointment goes well and that you find a treatment that works for you.
  • I am also on opiates for pain control. I never feel any type of high, only pain control. But, If you are able to control your pain with rest maybe it will be worth waiting to see if PM has an alternative treatment. Good luck and please keep us posted.
advertisement