Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Misery

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
I hate to whine. I have been so lousy for weeks now, and I don't feel like doing anything but laying down. I try to keep my mind occupied by reading and posting here. The house has gone to hell; I have no stamina to conquer the kitchen. I feel guilty when my hubby has had to cook many a nights now and I feel bad delegating chores to the kids. I say to myself I'll get it and try not to push anything on anyone. It'll still be there for when I feel up to it. My downfall is I am a perfectionist at heart but I have let go of my pickyness a long time ago.
My lowest point is finding that getting into the shower is a big chore. I wish I had one of those Premiere tubs you walk into.
I feel so bad that I haven't been much help to my husband, he has 12-15 hour days and works hard.
advertisement

Comments

• boy does that sound familiar. every day is a struggle to get up get motivated and go to work also. when i finish, i flop on couch and pass out. i have no energy to help cook or to go to store. my wife gets home late and does not have energy also. i think passive depression is a major problem with chronic pain patients. people do not understand chronic pain. after 4 back surgeries, just dealing with normal things of life is a chore. keep up the faith. there are some of us who can empathize with you, unfortunately most of the people in the world cannot. they can't understand why we just cant deal with pain. we must be lazy or crave attention. like they said in to kill a mockingbird, you can't understand someone unless you walk in their shoes.
    articles, conversation etc does not help. the only way people will understand is if they suffer from chronic pain. only if a famous person suffered and went on t.v. to promote a show dealing with chronic pain and i don't mean that idiot moron dufus on celebrty rehab. he is the master of misinformation.

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • It would be nice to see someone credible to raise awareness about chronic back pain. I have watched that soap opera, The Doctors, TLC, Oprah and there's nothing about it. Not to take away the importance of other serious conditions, but back pain is barely covered and I think that's weird because it is so prevalent. Some of what I see is a bunch of fluff like "I have an itch and should I scratch?" Not too much of substance.
  • I agree with everything said here. I live on my own and have to 'make' myself have a routine, all be it revolving round my pain medication.
    Your comments regarding the shower is very significant to me. I only have a bath and the OT has installed a power seat so I only to press a button, however found my motivation to bath every day at it's lowest. It's not that I don't want to bath, it's the time it takes to dry off and dress afterwards then I cannot hold the hairdryer to style my hair as upper body strength is so poor. But I have cracked it #o I didn't know you could get a stand for the hair dryer. 8> Maybe I could stand in front of it and air dry. That may not be such a good idea...I could get frost bite by the time I turned all the was round lol.
  • How did you get that power seat? Is it sold in a medical supply store and did your insurance pay for it? I could really use something like that.
  • I think you are very lucky to have a hubby and kids to help you get through this. Imagine feeling the way you do without them around. Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • I do feel very fortunate and I will never take it for granted. Everything is bearable with the help and love of my family.
  • You offered me some words of encouragement on my thread, maybe I can return the favor. I sometimes feel so guilty that I can't do more for my husband. I hate it the most when I have been having a really bad streak and am feeling irritable and am being b----y to the person who loves me more than anyone. Later that night Dennis put his leg over mine (a little leg hug) I felt simultaneously horrible (for having been creepy to him) and wonderful. I don't know how people get through this without the support of a family. But the flares!!! Geez. We should start a thread on how to deal with those. And they don't always just last a few days, do they? Boy, I said I'd offer some encouragement and I've offered none. I guess I've offered understanding that I've been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt. Feel better soon. Susan. Hey, how about House for our spokesman? Why is he taking Vicodin and not some long-acting med?
  • They never said, but maybe because his brain can function on Vicodin and not function on other meds?
  • It's been a little while since I checked this thread, and I thank you for sharing your experiences. I like House too; the question is are you willing to give up bedside manner for impeccable diagnostic skills? That's a hard one. I guess after slapping him I would say thank you. :D Yeah, he's always chomping down on Vicodin while on rounds. What's the story behind his leg, I forgot.
    Susan, it's always been that we chew on the ones we love the most. I'm guilty of it too and my hubby understands the reason behind it. Sometimes I drive him and the kids nuts asking for this and that, and so on. I try to not to be a pain all the time, and I make a point to express my gratitude and be cheerful.
    The one thing that drives me crazy is boredom. The days can get pretty monotonous. What do you guys do to not be super bored?
  • I am a House fan. He takes vicoden because he is addicted to it.

Hope you are feeling better. Sorry to hear that you are down.
  • I hang out on this site to overcome boredom and pass the time.
  • Me too. I watch too much tv and I need to exercise my brain. These are my top tv picks: House, Prison Break, Top Chef, Mad Men, Intervention, The First 48 Hours, TrueLife, 24, House Hunters, Property Ladder, Big Spender, and others.
    What do you like to watch?
  • I like House, Bones, Criminal Minds, CSI, The First 48 Hours, Monsterquest, Intervention, Sarah Connor Terminator, Young and the Restless, Dr Phil, Rachel Ray, Cold Case Files, The Office, Ghost Whisperer. I watch a lot of shows on the history channel or national geographic too, depending on what's on. My kids usually have Nick, cartoon network, noggins or some other kid channel on in the living room so I usually sit in my bed with my laptop on my lap and watch tv, and read the newspaper. Right now I am watching ICarly so I can "spend" some time with my kids lol. Thank goodness we have 2 computers so I don't have to share my computer time. I am usually on here on and off throughout the day.
  • The one show I watch with my kids because they like it so much is Total Drama Island. They sure don't make cartoons anymore like when we grew up. I love History Channel, Deadliest Catch, and Sarah Connor Chronicles. Brian Austin Green has come a long way since Beverly Hills 90210 and trying to rap. :)
  • I think I remember seeing the episode about his leg.

He was in an accident; damaged his leg really bad. His ex wife made a medical decision for him because he was unable to which did not really help. I think it was cut off his leg or not and she chose not to - something like that. He had a hard time adjusting, hence their divorce.

I used to LOVE that show. He was my hero of sorts. But then, the way he always comes to the rescue and saves the day at the very last minute upsets me. Mainly because I have loved ones that "I" want someone to swoop in and cure or save, but that doesn't happen in real life. Which depresses me to no end. So, I don't watch the shows like House, E/R and the like. Now, if they could figure a way to tie up my life in a nice little package.... that'd be different.

I really hope I didn't ruin the shows for any of you. I'm grateful to have kids and a reason (I mean excuse) to watch Nickelodeon. iCarly and Drake & Josh. Ned Declassified. Stuff like that. At least I get a laugh out of those shows!

Take care my cyber friends!

Jo
  • I liked Nickelodeon too and loved Spongbob, Arnold, Rocketpower, and Fairly Oddparents. I used to watch ER, but it has changed drastically from the days of Dr. Ross and Dr. Green. Dr. Benton is cool and Dr. Carter was silly. My alltime favorite show is St. Elsewhere; there's no other medical show like it.
  • Spongebob is the best! I wish I could get a snail that meowed. I love Gary. You are right meydey, they don't make cartoons like they used to.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.