Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated/NO surgery/No Doctor now

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thanks to all that responded. I just talked to the office......believe this or not, They have discharged me from their practice. They advise me to get another doctor. Now i'm sort of screwed. I do have another Neuro in mind it's just that this guy did my ACDF c3-6 and he knows me.
I did explain to his secretary about my mom but they weren't budging

Paul
advertisement

Comments

• I am shocked. I didn't think it would go that far. I'm real sorry to hear that. Definately start looking for another surgeon immediately. It may be hard with the holidays coming up, but hopefully you can get in with someone in January.
  • MeyDey

Thanks, I cant believe it either,but b'tween the cocaine situation and yesterday,he's probably sick of me. I guess I can't blame him but it kinda leaves me in a bad place. Not only that, his office told me to get a hold of primary because of the pre-op chest x-ray results. They wouldn't tell me what it showed and my primary is in NYC today. I can only imagine what this is...........cancer? I hope to God, its nothing serious
    Paul
  • Im so sorry to hear about all this that is happening to you. If this was the kind of MD he is, then you don;t want someone like that operating on you anyway. Good luck ! Keep us posted!!

• I hope it's nothing serious either. Have you been sick with fever, cough, coughing blood, chest pain, or anything like that? If so, I would get seen at the ER ASAP. Please let me know if something comes up. >:D<
  • I also have a bad cough and spit up phlem,I am a somewhat heavy smoker so I just assumed it was from that. I called the hosp about it.they wont tell me anything but said I could go get the report. If it's in "doctor language" so to speak, I wont be able to decipher it anyway
  • Don't wait too long to get that checked out, especially if you have shortness of breath. You could have walking pneumonia among other things.
  • Go and get your x-rays. You will have to sign for them but you can get them and take them to your PC doctor. If thry are sending you to a PV doc, I wouldn't be as worried oif they said go to the hospital now. Try to be positive, I know someone who smokes and coughs phlegm and they had bronchitis... showed up on the X-ray. Take Care and good luck to you. Are you still "clean".
  • thanks, yes still clean
  • on your sobriety. Keep it up, I am proud of you.
  • If they had to call security, someone there had felt physically threatened. Hate to tell you this, but that discharge was 100% appropriate. Do you think he was late because he came from a round of golf? No, chances are he was running late because he was a good doctor and a patient had an unforeseen issue or complication beyond his control that he was taking good care - wouldn't you want the same care and courtesy when you are on the table? You should still send a letter of apology for your behavior because it is the right thing to do - but I can guarantee you he will not see you again as a patient.
    On a more practical matter, get a copy of your medical records, since this "incident" today will be well documented in your chart (it has to be, for legal reasons). It may actually affect your ability to get another good surgeon locally. Get a copy of your chest X-ray too. Call your primary care doc ASAP to get the findings on the chest X-ray looked out, and also let him know about what happened. If you are serious about staying clean - tell your primary care doc everything- so he can refer you for additional support and resources as well to stay clean.
    And I know as bad as your are feeling for yourself right now, say or do something nice for your mother immediately. Thank her for being there, and that you were sorry she had to see you act out like that. You use her as an excuse for your outburst, but I bet she would have waited all night for the doctor to take good care of you, and I bet she feels worse for you than you feel for yourself.
    Good luck.
  • It's posting like this that makes me wish for the thumbs up feature image

• You are right, I totally agree. I was dead wrong. Also true, my mom would have waited all night.As much as i may not like it..thanks for the reply.

Paul
  • I had to wait for the NS for my first appointment for 2 hours past my appointment. But, you know what, he had an emergency spine surgery on an 15 year old girl who ended up being paralyzed. I think that was a little more important.
    And the day of my surgery, I know that there were people who were waiting in the waiting room for their appointments for 3 hours because MY surgery ended up being much more complicated.
    So, although it was a pain in the butt, I understood and in turn, I'm awfully glad that my Dr. didn't up and leave my surgery to go see a consult patient.
    Sometimes as patients, we don't see the forest for the trees.
  • Once again,Agreed. I acted very hastily. Somex's I'm my worst enemy. Now,I have to find another Dr. Hopefully I can,my back and leg is getting worse
  • I hope you can get your x-rays, get to your regular Dr and get things rolling quickly.
    I wish you nothing but the best. Know that we are all here, if for nothing else, to listen!
  • Do you think the meltdown was aggravated by you stopping cocaine? I would think it would send you into big withdrawals. Then on top of that, the pain from your back will really mess things up. Sometimes I can lose my head from just the pain alone. I have a feeling your primary care doc will factor in that you were withdrawing and will try to help out. Don't give up, keep fighting this thing. Paul is right, get your records even if you have to pay, so that the next surgeon won't have to read about the hospital stuff. I really hope you can find another surgeon. Take care
  • Thanks u guys, I think POSSIBLY my withdrawal might have had something to do w/my behavior.Now, I'm n a bad position. My primary Dr. Know's I have addiction issues,therefore he will not prescribe lortab or any narcotic drug for me. I just talked to his wife who works at his office and she said to bring my bottles of med's. He has given me the fentanayl patch before but I dont like , it, knocks me for a loop. He wont give me anything that I can take more than prescribed to get a buzz.Also, apparently the x-rays show a "nodule" on my right lung. She said it could just b scar tissue but it wasn't on previous x-rays and they are concerned cause I am a smoker. I have to have more taken.I pray it's nothin too serious........and yes, I AM STill claen !!

Paul
  • I'm glad your primary doc will see you and I hope that nodule is nothing serious. How long were you on the Fentanyl patches? It made me feel spaced out for about a month until my body got used to it. It did give me dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and headaches until I put the patch on the belly. Then all the side effects went away and I never had a problem since, even when they upped my dose.
  • I was on the patch off and on for a while,hard to say just how long.But yeah,it made me very "spaced out " too. Not sick,just felt really blahhh.
  • Congrats on staying clean <:P I am glad that you were honest with your doc. I had a feeling they would be hesitant to prescribe any pain meds with narcotics in them given your history. Just keep your head held high and keep a positive attitude and take one day at a time. I pray that your chest xray results will come out ok. My dad had a spot on his and he had pnemonia and didn't know it. He had to be hospitalized for 4 days with IV antibiotics. His oxygen level was so low they coudln't beleive he was just walking around not even complaining of being short of breath. He had a follow up xray and had some scar tissue from the pnemonia so hopefully it's just scar tissue in your case.
advertisement