Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No Luck

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok..so after being bumped 5 TIMES by my NS, I have finally had enough. They cancelled me 2 hours before surgery yesterday and does not think she can get me in before JANUARY now. OMG!!

She said they can not bump anyone they have on schedule for next week. So...the way I see it is: it's ok to bump me 5 TIMES but not anyone else, Even though 5 different dotors have reviewed my charts, xrays, MRI's etc,,,and have all agreed that surgery needs to be done quickly before the damage is permanent and NO ONE seems to GIVE A CRAP.

I am so upset and i can;t stop crying...
advertisement

Comments

• I'm so sorry this has happened to you! January isn't too awfully far away now, so just use the extra time to get things ready for coming home from surgery. God bless.
  • Here's a big cyberhug for you >:D< This is so unfair. Don't worry, you will have the surgery and then it'll be okay. We'll wait with you and support you all the way.
  • Dina, I wasn't bumped like you but my surgeon told me I needed surgery pretty quickly (like you - rapidly progressing nerve issues) but wasn't able to get me on the schedule for several months. The main reason for the busy schedule is that he is one of the best in the southeast and the ONLY good surgeon within 60 miles.

My options were to either find another surgeon or wait. I did ask him if this wait was going to cause permanent damage and he told me (and I've later confirmed it with reseach) that lumbar issues cause permanent damage much less often than cervical issues. I probably could have waited at least 6 - 9 months without incurring permanent damage albeit I would have been miserable.

I have to assume that your surgeon must be awfully good to have such a full surgery schedule. You might try having them put you on a "first cancellation" list which is what I tried (to no avail). I know it doesn't make you feel any better but the only other thing you can do is start all over with another doc who may or may not be as good.

I'm sure you've probably already thought of all these things. I just feel so bad for you that I'm trying to give you some positive things to contemplate. I do have alot of trouble understanding why you've been bumped FIVE times (did I understand that correctly)?

In closing, I've always believed that things happen for a reason. Maybe you'll never know WHY but this may work out for the better. Keep your chin up, as my mom used to say. Kathy in Atlanta
  • Thanks for the reply,

The first scheduled appointment was for Nov 26th, then they had a cancellation and told me that they could take me on the 24th instead, Of course I said yes to to two days earlier.

Then once they got my xray and EMG results back, she realized that they had to do two levels instead of one, so they needed more time.in the OR so..it was rescheduled for Dec 1st.

Then the hospital could not give her the amount of time she needed for the OR on the 1st, so they rescheduled for the 10th.(which was yesterday)...

Then she had an emergency yesterday and needs to reschedule me but she said they prolly won't be able to get me intill January.

Ugh...IM so frustrated..

Thanks for the support and Im trying to look on the bright side.
  • Ok..new date set, the doc office called and said friday the 19th at noon. Hopefully this will be the last reschedule and i can finally get on the road to recovery

• Daran, that just not right,can keep bumping one person, best if it rotates, dayum, how unfair, sorry for ya, hugs
  • Do I understand correctly that they will take you on the 19th of December or is it the 19th of January?? I hope it's December - that's only a week away! My surgery was the 18th of November and I figured that it got me off the hook for cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I guess the same can be said for Christmas dinner! Acutally, I did have Thanksgiving dinner, just pushed it up to the weekend before my surgery and had the family over. It was pretty good therapy since it kept me focused on the cooking instead of the upcoming surgery.

If it is next week then that's alot better than it sounded like it might be. We'll all start sending those POSITIVE THOUGHTS towards you so this time you won't be rescheduled ;)

Kathy

• Hey Dina,

Wow. Like someone else said, your doctor must be REALLY GOOD and in high demand. That has to be a positive thing. I just can't imagine being bumped like that--with all the build up--that is downright cruel. Hang in there.

Chuck
  • As upseting as this is, I believe everything happens for a reason and nothing by chance. I am not sure what your beliefs are (or anyone reading this), but if I were in your shoes my first reaction would be anger and then I would have to wonder if there was a reason I wasn't supposed to have surgery that day.
    I really feel for you though, My surgery is Dec 22 (11 days) and everyday I feel I cannot wait one more day. To find out I would be set back a month would be devastining to me. I am very sorry & hope you get in sooner.
  • to hear of your frustrations. But that must be Friday, Dec. 19th, correct? Yes because Jan 19 is a Monday. So, 1 week from today you will be on the road to recovery! That is great news!
  • That sounds so frustrating!! It is hard to have patience through all of that. But, as someone said maybe this is all because you have such a great surgeon. I will keep my fingers crossed that things won't change again.
advertisement