Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am due to have spinal fusion on L3,4,5,S1 (plus partial on L2 as it is unstable. From my research, this is very very extreme. This all started 2 yrs. ago w/2 ruptured discs, then discovering degenerative disease in MRIs. Have been on hydrocodone 10/60 6 a day and soma and this controls pain, I can function. I do not want this surgery. Is there anyone out there who has had this much of an extreme fusion done? And what about post op? And the future? Please help. I can go through it, but I could end up worse, right? I'm a single mom w/3 girls...and terrified.
advertisement

Comments

• Annie here is a >:D< from me to you.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect but I understand your pain and concern. I am having a Laminectomy w/ fusion on the L4/L5 with screws on 12/19. From reading the blogs the first 2 weeks are the most challenging. I would encourage reading as many blogs on recovery as you can. It's great education and can help calm the jitters :SS . Not knowing what to expect can be a pain but each person is different so the healing is different. I hope this helps!!

P.S.
    The way I get through my pre-op days is telling myself the end result can't be any worse than the years of pain I've endured....now whether this is going to be true or not is the question :?
  • Once you find more information on your particular surgery maybe you'll feel more at ease. Have you had a second opinion? That may help. Are you seeing a pain management Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had a fusion at L3/L4 and L4/L5. My nerve issues have been resolved (are better than they were before the surgery.) I am now 12 mos out of surgery and am working full-time, and most of my friends say they would never know that I had back problems. Don't get me wrong, I still have my bad days, but I jsut wanted to reach out and let you know that there are positive outcomes of fusions. With that said, I think it would be good to get a second opinion!