Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

grinding and poping

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 186
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Could the grinding and poping noises come from tight muscles? I have been told that the noise comes from the bulging discs but I am not that sure. I am thinking this because I sometimes have grinding all the way up and down my neck but only have problems at the base of my neck c5-6-c7-t1. Has anyone been told where these noises come from?
advertisement

Comments

• Mine does not seem to be coming from my muscles but from my vertebrae or fusion or something of that area. My ortho said he didn't know what it was, but maybe ligaments. That didn't make sense to me nor did he ask for me to point out where it is coming from.
  • I had grinding and popping noise until I just had my Lumber facet joints injected last Saturday and now no more noises. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I forgot to add I am thinking this because when my muscles are not tight or spasming I have no grinding noises.

What and where are facet joints
  • DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • These noises are common and even normal for people that have ddd or arthritis.I am not referring to people with hardwear installed,because I don't have any hardwear in my spine and therefore no real knowledge on that.I'm going by what I feel-and hear in my neck-and what all of my Drs have told me about it.I can't tell you what yours is,though if you are hearing it all up and down your neck keep in mind that the noise/sensation will travel.The way noise travels on a guitar string for example.You hear it louder in your own head,if you know what I mean?
  • I have that "popping" sound in my neck... Never had it before having problems with my neck a year or so ago, just before my surgery.

I have a small bulge at c3-c4, and had my c6-c7 fused in June, can't remember ever having this happen before last year when I started to have serious problems with my neck. Seems many times that when I barely move my head, "pop", doesn't hurt, doesn't do anything, but it is annoying.

I am told I have some arthritis and DDD in my neck, so that seems to go along with what others say.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,359
    Many people pay chiropractors good $ to hear those sounds! .... It can be caused by ligaments snapping over bone .... build up of synovial fluid gasses released under preasure ..... OR THE DREADED-CREPITUS .... grinding of BONE on BONE ..... Go see an orthopedic surgeon .... get evaluated.
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Thanks for the information. I have a neurosurgeon and a PM Dr. I am at the point of getting trigger point injections once a month for my neck problems. I have really bad muscle problems. I get a MRI once a year now but not much else. I have to wait until April for anothere MRI.
    Thanks again for the help.
  • My neuro, PCP, and Chiro have all told me that the popping noise is from trapped air escaping from the joints when I move my neck or back.That's why I feel better afterwards, as it relieves the pressure inside the joint. As for the grinding? That is a seperate issue, and that needs to be evaluated. Good luck.
advertisement