Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is soma?

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
I've seen a couple of people on here mention Soma? Is this a pain medication? What is it and what is it for. Have anyone had any good results from it or how about any bad side affects?
advertisement

Comments

• It's a muscle relaxer and it works pretty good. The only problem is that doctors don't like prescribing it in conjunction with Vicodin because it's believed to be very addictive. I was on that combination, and then was changed to Zanaflex when starting pain mgt. They added on Fentanyl patches to my regime as well.
  • I was taking Skelaxin for 2 years and it worked pretty well until this summer when we moved. My muscle spasms really kicked up, and my new doc had me try Soma. Wow, it really really helped. Flexeril, also a muscle relaxer, just knocks me out and sleep all day. Soma makes me more tired than Skelaxin, but not too bad. Other than that, no side effects. I always make sure to take it with food, like I do my other meds.

When my muscle spasms get tuned up, my pain really increases. So for me, it also helps with pain relief in that way, by calming down my muscles.

Cheri
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,726
    I used to have that for a couple of years. I did ok as far as relaxing muscles, but one negative for me was that it
    also relaxed my eye muscles, so while I was on SOMA,I could not read
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It works well for muscle spasms.
  • It is a good muscle relaxer, one of the best really,but my doctor won't prescribe it unless you have surgery. It is a drug widely abused along with other drugs and alcohol. In a lot of states it is now a controlled substance. It is interesting though that you can buy it online from Canadian Pharmacies without a prescription! Here in Nevada we keep it locked up with the rest of the narcotics. Flexeril, Skelaxin, Tizanidine are some more commonly used muscle relaxers. I use Tizanidine, with Tramadol, Darvocet N - 100, and Lyrica. I started breaking out in hives with any of the "codone" derivatives. My doc won't prescribe morphine or dilaudid unless Surgery was done either.
advertisement