Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

discogram yesterday - worst pain ever today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain

I had my discogram yesterday - the procedure itself wasn't too bad. They gave me lots of drugs. Got home, not too much pain. About 7pm all of a sudden I got this incredible nerve pain down my left leg. Granted i've had that nerve pain for awhile, but this is the worst pain I've ever been in. It's like someone twanged (is that a word?) my nerve and it never calmed down. I can barely walk, sitting is agony and the only postion that I can lay down in is on my tummy - makes watching tv difficult!

Has anyone had a similiar experience? I'm calling my dr. as soon as his office opens for someone heavy drugs, but I am scared that I'm going to be like this for a while! I have 2 younger kids and a ton of Christmas presents to wrap. YIKES!

Thanks for your words of wisdom

Su :''(


  • Were you able to call the doctor's office? I never had one of these tests so I can't be of any help- but my thoughts and prayers are with you! Hope you feel better soon!

    PS Have another family member wrap the gifts- that was easy. And listen to music today instead of TV :)
  • Thanks Turtle:

    Somehow we never trust people to do as good a job as we can do ourselves! I put a book on my ipod this morning and now I am just trying to stay comfy.

    Put a call in to my doc but no reply ~X( whats a girl to do.

    Thanks again

  • I had a discogram done on November 19th and the 20th I was in excruciating pain. On the 21st my husband and I left to go on vacation to Florida which meant we drove from Delaware to Florida. I luckily was on hydrocodone every 4 hours and that was the only thing that got me through. I had to really take it easy on my vacation and actually missed out on going to SeaWorld because I could not get out of bed, but after about 4 days I was back to my normal pain. It will get better but I could not have done it without pain meds so I would suggest getting something from your doc. Hope that helps some!

  • call you back today? I have a friend who had this procedure and took her over a week to feel better. Just depends on how bad your nerve damage is, I guess. I'm so glad they kept you sedated during the procedure, though!

    Hope you find some relief. I've had to go to the ER once in so much nerve pain I was also only able to lay on my stomach. That was NO fun at all.

  • Once they hit the L5/S1 I was in so much pain. I was pulled out of work and have been in disability since. My back hurt pretty bad before the procedure, obviously, however, after having the procedure, it flared my back up and it never settled down. I was stuck on the couch for 3-4 days afterward and couldn't hardly move.
  • I forgot to mention that I was not put to sleep for this procedure nor did I have any IV pain meds at all. They gave me 2 xanax 15 mins before procedure which didn't help.
  • before my surgery last year. My doc told me ahead of time that it would be the worst pain that I ever felt in my life and he was right. I was given fentanyl and versed but was completely awake and alert. I had my surgery two days later and it was pretty much down hill from there. The pain that you are experiencing is more than likely normal but always good to check with doc. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • He said if it doesn't hurt then your disc is ok. I had to wait from Feb 08 - July 08 before I could have surgery because the ortho wanted to do disc replacement but my insurance wouldn't approve it so I appealed them 3 times then gave up and had the fusion because I was in too much pain to fight anymore. I will mostly need to fused at L4/L5 in 5-15 years but I was hoping I could at least get a good 10yrs out of this back before more surgery.
  • OK so the dr. finally called me back at 4pm Friday afternoon. His theory is either the pain meds that they inject in my back during the procedure have worn off and I am just having post discogram pain (which he said could last 2 weeks) or I fully ruptured the disc that was just torn, and that the pain could last until I have surgery @)

    He wrote me a script for oxy, but since it can't be faxed to the pharmacy he would stick it in the mail. Yipee, maybe I will get it today, but most likely not until Monday. He wouldn't prescribe anything like valium to get me through until then. :''(

    So here I am up at 5am on a Sat. morning because my drugs wore off and I am now waiting for my norco to kick in.

    I'm trying not to whine, thanks for all your advice and stories.

  • They wouldn't let you pick up the script or let someone else do it? I always have to drive to my docs to pick up my refills each month or less depending on how long they last. Sometimes they only give me 10-20 days worth and I complain because I don't like driving 30 minutes one way to pick up script every 10 days so I've asked that they increase the number of pills.

    Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain.
  • After my discogram, once the meds they injected wore off. Yeah it hurt a lot. For a couple of days. I took a few darvocet and laid on my back. A few days later the additional pain went away and I felt better than before the test. My ortho told me that was very weird. My theory is after they fill the discs the pressure increases because the discs are inflated. So if there is a tear or a nerve impinged then it would be worse as the space got smaller. Just a theory. The die they use is supposed to dissipate and be absorbed by your kidneys in a day.

    Everyone reacts differently to these tests. I just had a myelogram and it was the test from hell for me. I ended up with a spinal headache. Migraines, nausea, hot/cold flashes, can't stand up. It was horrible. Had to go back to the hospital for a blood patch. I still have some residual headache. But my back feels a lot better. Strange...

  • OK there is a god! I got the rx for oxy today. Not bad since they sent it yesterday. I thought for sure that I would have to suffer through the whole weekend. My drs. office is over an hour away which is why I wasn't able to drive there and pick it up myself. Right now I'm limited to about 10 minutes in the car.

    I am a sub for elementary school and special needs classes so I guess I wont be able to take any jobs next week. I'm am really hoping that this goes away in a week. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

    Thanks again for your kind words - they are so appreciated when I am so down!

    Su >:D<
  • I am glad to hear you got your rx. That was fast. I hope you are feeling better. Yes, driving any distance is not fun. I live in the country, which I love but I don't love the drive. No matter where I go (unless it's into town) I have a 30 minute drive. We have a grocery store, mcdonald's, subway, arby's but not too much. We do have a great Italian restaraunt in town too. Everything is more expensive in town than downtime though.
  • That I had a discogram also, it was very painful. I was in a lot of pain for a few days, then I was back to my normal pain after that. I did have to take stronger meds after the discogram though.

    I hope that you are feeling better >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I had a discogram on 12/3, and I am still having increased (new) pain. I had nerve pain that went down my leg before the discogram, but afterwards it got much, much worse, and went farther down my leg.

    It was a little strange, the 5th day after the procedure, I was actually feeling better. The next day was bad, then the day after that I again had a few hours of feeling better. Then all he** broke loose. I could hardly walk, it felt like a hot poker being shoved down my thigh. And the pain in my knee was excruciating. For several days, it was like this, until I went to my PM and she doubled the dose of my meds.

    I still have some burning, and stinging pain that goes down my leg and into my knee. And the worst pain is in the morning. I have a really hard time getting going in the morning. But I am back to work, and in general able to function. But I can tell that there is still some additional pain that wasn't there before the discogram. And I am still on the higher dose of meds.

    I hope that your pain becomes manageable, at least. But most of all, I hope it goes away.
  • I told my NS that if getting a discogram was part of determining whether I needed surgery, then it would be a cold day in h*** before I'd be on the operating table. I had to have one in 2005 before my IDET...done by a radiologist where I went in straight up...no nothing...oh, I found out that the problem was in the L5-S! area without a doubt...that had to be the most ungodly pain that I could imagine. I would think a Civil War soldier in the middle of a battlefield getting his leg sawed off would not feel what I felt. Then the radiologist told the assistant to hit me with a quarter grain of morphine. That syringe might as well been filled with water. They would not give me anything else until 4 hours later (when I was going home anyway). It was a full 6 days before I could bend all the way upright...I felt like one of those old men hunched over almost 90 degrees...never, ever again.period.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.