Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Legs feel indescribably funny

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
Hi, I am not new here... but I've been keeping away to heal post back surgery in June of this year.

Eveything seems to be going well. However, there are things that haven't changed. My tail pain or Coccydynia is still making me miserable not to the same extent but is there. I can't sit for a long time for the pain becomes unbearable. When I'm sitting - getting up is like stepping on a granade ... I dread the getting up because of the painful sensation I have when doing so. (I had sacroiliac injection and caudal epidural block last week)-

HOWEVER, I'm here to see if anyone can tell me why my legs feel so bad!! [( My legs have never stopped feeling like they're in a frying pan; painful, hot spicy-like, funny feeling; feels like the legs are burning but have been put in very cold water. Also, after walking just a bit, the left leg gets very lazy like droped foot. I don't know what to do.
HEEEEEEEEEELP!!
advertisement

Comments

• Others may already know- I am new here- but what surgery did you have?

Have you called the surgeon to complain about this new problem? Some people tell me it can take up to 6 months to a year before the nerves that were so badly compressed or damaged will begin to heal and the healing process actually can hurt-but the drop foot thing-that could be another symptom for another issue.

I would see a doctor if anything new developed while I was recovering. I'm at the age where other things can go wrong :$
  • definitely call your doctor. What you are describing sounds like my pain, and I was diagnosed a year ago with S1 permanent nerve damage.

My limit on sitting is 20 to 30 minutes or the pain flares something awful. I have to stay reclined as the only way to mitigate this pain down to a 5 out of a 10. Can't stand or walk longer than half an hour, either. The nerve will just get a horrible flare that I can't describe.

I also have the foot drop thing the more my nerve flares. It has caused several falls, one of which landed me in surgery 3 weeks later. Ask someone close to you to watch you walk. In general, do you pick up your feet a "normal" height? I don't, even when I don't have the foot drop issue, I still don't pick my feet up high enough for safe walking. I have to be very very careful. I have lateral numbness, down the outside of my buttock, thighs, calves and outside of feet. I balance on the inside of my feet.

This is something your doctor needs to know. There are tests they can do, evaluations they can make just with you in the office.

I had epidural steroid injections and selective nerve root blocks that did not help at all. I am not moving on to the spinal cord stimulator. I had the trial and it almost stopped the pain. It was so nice to get some relief.

Had I not had the EMG, I don't think I would have had doctors take me seriously in this regard, because my MRI's and other tests looked "great".

Take care,

Cheri
  • Is your foot drop and leg pain new or just unresolved form the surgery?

If new i would definately raise to the attention of the surgeon. It may be normal from the retraction of the nerves during surgery. There were posts here discussing similar a few months ago.

Burning sensations etc post surgery but calms down after a while.

Wishing you a good recovery
  • Thank you all for in help. Yes, my sister told me to call the doctor, actually told me not to wait until the next visit if I don't feel well, but I always do.

Cheri, have the same sensations you have ... everything, incredible how similar our symptoms are. I can lift my foot but it all comes from my back --- feels weird.

I had PLIF - discectomy, laminectomy and fusion with hardware. My leg symptoms I believe, are part of the preop, but were masked by the excruciating pain I was experiencing at that time. Now, with all that pain out of the way, these symptoms are endless!!!

The injections mentioned before, although less than ten days ago, have proven useless -- nothing has changed -- tail hurts just as much and leg still doing its way. The foot-drop thing is not all the time I can walk some but after certain distance the left leg starts feeling heavy and has to be dragged - when it gets overly tired from being dragged, my back then gets heavy too and I get even worse; I get the sensation that all the pulling comes from my back!! very frustrating to say the least.

• I always sit with a small dollar store footstool so the legs are more closer to the body and not so stretched out. I would def try that if you haven't yet. When you get up try to edge yourself close to the edge of the chair and slowly use your arms on the chair to help yourself up so your legs don't feel the pressure all at once. I'm sorry the epis haven't helped it took 2 weeks on the 2nd one to feel better. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you for the advise.

I do use step-stools when getting off a seat. I also have one at work (I'm working 4 to 5 hours a day; it is a killer) to keep legs elevated as much as possible. I am the happy owner of 4 coxxy pillows - 2 for home, one for the car and one for work; I have a little log pillow so that my sacrum doesn't lean aganst the painful "anything it touches" because it feels like hot brick pressing hard against raw skin when I rest my back on a chair. I have other little helpers in order to aide me but the pain is still there.

Yes, I do practice all those precautions but it is sooo time consuming, and I don't know about you but I even act like I DO have a bomb on my buttock ready to detonate if I violate thoose rules. :O :''( I'm tired of all these things, I would like to be normal again.
advertisement