Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When is the medication just TOO much?

araineaaraine Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
~X(
So, some of you already know that I saw the Neuro last Thursday, and that I am out of my pain meds. I have been having a lot of issues with my neck since I started my spine strengthening classes for my back. So, my Dr. sends me for an MRI the following Monday, and prescribes me 75mg of Lyrica every night before I go to bed. Well, 7 days later, and it's not doing anything...

I am in SO much pain :''( , I just want to jump out the window! I actually seriously was considering going to the hospital, so I called me NS, and told him that I couldn't take the pain anymore. He said that NS's can't prescribe narcotics, and since my primary dismissed me (I have no insurance) he said come in today for more samples of something else.

I go into the office and told me to take 750mg of Soma a day, and 1600mg of Skelaxin at night :& ...don't you think that's a little much on the medication?!?! Both of these are muscle relaxers....when is the medication just too much? :S
advertisement

Comments

• This is a difficult situation to be in and I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I am unsure about the combination of Soma and Skelaxin; I think the Soma goes directly into the central nervous system, and the Skelaxin works indirectly so that you don't get drowsiness or lethargic. I hope I got it right, but if not, someone will have the technically correct answer for you. The Lyrica will help with nerve pain and it also helps to minimize the perception of pain within the brain.
    Is there a community clinic in your area? They charge a sliding scale fee and hopefully a doctor there can give you Vicodin for the pain. Your best bet is to get a referral to pain management since your neurologist doesn't prescribe narcotics, but without insurance it is very expensive. By all means if the pain gets too great, please get seen at the ER. But you definately need to have a primary care doctor that can give you ongoing care because the ER won't.
    I hope you get to feeling better. Take care
  • Could it be that the neurosurgeon won't prescribe pain pills before the surgery, then maybe afterwards? It doesn't make sense . He knows patients are in pain when they walk in the office. If they don't get it from other doctors, he should be comfortable giving opiods to them.
  • He knows I have no money or insurance, and this is his way of collecting an office fee, but somewhat 'trying' to help me cause he knows I can't afford anything. I can't see another NS, because he is the only one that lets me come on monthly payments. I also can't afford pain management. Really, the biggest and main doctor that I have seen over the 2 years since my accident, has been a chiropractor on LOP. :(
  • What medicine were you on that he didn't refill last Thursday? If he gave you something last time, it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't refill it. If it was something like Vicodin, he would know that it is cheap. You can also apply for an RX discount card or go to Walmart for their $4.00 generics. Just let him know that you have a way to keep up with what he may prescribe, as long as it doesn't cost a lot.
  • He has never prescribed me any medications before. The Hydrocodone's that I had before were prescribed by my PCD, but he dismissed me after that, and I just sort of made them last.
  • check to see if your state offers any health insurance that you may qualify for? Are you anywhere near a teaching hospital? You can actually get very good care there and they charge according to your income. There must be some type of help for you out there.
    BTW- I love your avitar. Is that your macaw?
  • I would go to the ER to get something stronger for pain. I can't imagine suffering so long without pain meds. They gave me percocet when I went to the hospital. I find the best time to go to the ER is late night when it's not so busy so hopefully the wait isn't too long . You need to find a good PCP. Think you need to apply for state disability but mostly you need pain control. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement