Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numb tonuge-one week post op on open neck surgery

TurtleTTurtle Posts: 161
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I still have a "numb" area on tip of my tonuge. I put numb in parenthesis because it really feels like I have burnt it but it is not painful-just bugs me to no end. It tingles and feels fat. I read one other post here about it in spine-health, bit there were no replies and was wondering if other neckies have had this happen and whether this will be permanent or temp. I have called my surgeon but he hasn't called back yet. Thanks in advance!
advertisement

Comments

• I hope your Surgeon gets back to you soon. I had nose surgery twice and had a numb nose and top of mouth and upper gums. I was told it would leave in 6 months. I know it's not the same surgery. Was your tongue numb at the hospital? Are you taking any new meds? I hope others who've had neck surgery will come along and share. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • ANd I told the nurse as soon as I could, but she said it was probably from the anesthetic. When the doctor came in soon after I did not memntion it at the time because I believed the nurse. Now I know it isn't from that and an effect from the surgery. Now my question to the surgeon-is it temporary of did he damage something?

I think I could live with it but I'll probably need an OCD med to make me get over the constant rubbing I do because it feels so weird!
  • Hi Turtle! Yes I did have a numb tongue after surgery. Just as you described. I asked my surgeon why. His reply was that the tube was probably laying on that area of my tongue. I believe that it lasted a good couple weeks. It's hard to remember exactly but all of a sudden it wasn't numb. Now the area above my insiscion is still numb. He says that may never come back as so many nerves were cut. It doesn't hurt or bother me, it's just an odd feeling that there is no feeling there.
    Kim
  • and my tongue is getting better. Tip is still numb but not tiggling as if I burnt it, so the nerve that was moved must be healing.

I'm glad I wrote this post so others will not be shocked if they find their tongue numb after neck surgery. I found on the Internet there is a nerve in the neck that controls feeling and movement of the tongue so it is not uncommon for numbness to occur if it is damaged or moved. Surgeon never told me that, now you know.
  • I just had low back surgery on 01-09-09 and my tongue has been numb since. I just called the doctor's office to ask about it when I found this web site. I have never heard of anyone having a numb tongue after surgery. I just figured my tongue got caught between my lips and the tube and the circulation was cut off. It's driving me nuts!!
  • The tip of my ongue remained numb for at least a month and half, or a bit more. But 3 months post-op it has recovered. I don't recall the day I woke up and it was normal. One day I was still brooding over it, then I wasn't. I hope yours will too. My doctor didn't know what to think of it either. I think it was a temporary effect due to the massive swelling at the inscison site. I looked like I had a linebackers adam's apple!
  • I am so thankful for this forum:) Last night I started having a burned numb inflamed tongue feeling..I looked at it and it was red down the middle and the normal white tongue stuff on the sides..It is not a horrible pain but a discomfort, and weird looking...It seems like a few have had similar experiences...any advice would be appreciated...I'm thinking it was from the anesthesia...oh the strange things that happen to your body during/after surgery..I'm just a bit scared...thanks
  • I had outpatient surgery yesterday and woke up with numbess on the tip of my tongue. The nurse said it was because of the tube. I thought it would be gone overnight but after reading these posts I now suspect it will last a while. I once had one whole side of my tongue numb after my wisdom teeth were removed. This is common with dental surgery as they cut nerves that lead to the tounge. Most people recover but sometimes they don't. I went back to the dental surgeon at that time and he had me take some special vitamins. I think it was more of a placebo because he could see that I was pretty bothered by it. It took about six months but the nerve eventually repaired itself. This last event is much less bothersome and I suspect it will self-correct over time.
  • It is now 8 days after my outpatient surgery and the tip of my tongue is still numb. It was like that from the second I was out from under anesthesia. I didn't mention anything at first because I had many other things to be concerned with and I thought it was normal. But at my follow up 2 days ago I brought it up. The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me about it and had never heard the complaint before, but wasn't too concerned. He assumed it had something to do with the breathing tube. I was face down during surgery, so he explained how they are unable to monitor my face during surgery.

I am happy to have found this forum. It is comforting to know that I am not crazy and this is a slightly common problem. I hope my tongue is back to normal eventually, but it seems worse-case scenario is 3-6 months. Now I have hope that it isn't permanent.
  • I had a hysterectomy 9 days ago. An area in the middle of my tongue, not quite at the tip has been numb ever since I woke up. The doctor, nurses etc have acted like this is very odd but have guessed that it is from the breathing tube. It has a tingling sensation so I have assumed that feeling will come back but was starting to worry as I did not expect it to take this long. The other postings have erasures me that it should eventually return.
  • I just had a mass removed from the back of my neck. The surgery appears to have been successful, but I do have a numb tongue just as you described. I'm very appreciative of the comments here. I will inform my doctor today, but this discussion relieved some anxiety. Thank you so much!
  • I have had tongue numbness intermittently as my nerve flares from too much activity, low back, it seems. This is usually accompanied by numbing in the toes, for me the left side more than right. When I had my first back surgery, a discectomy/laminectomy the doctor asked if I had numb or tingling sensations in my tongue. I said "no" at the time. Post op a few months I would notice it occasionally. Now, 7 years and a disc replacement surgery later the tongue numbing is more pronounced and common when I get nerve flare up, in low back area and toe tingles. Going in to doc to find out more and doing further research.
    64Dragon
  • YsniperYYYsniperY Posts: 1
    edited 08/19/2015 - 10:09 AM
    Hi guys. I'm glad I found this forum because my doc thought it was weird that the tip of my tongue was numb too. Mine was numb right away after my knee surgery and they thought it might be from tube and be numb for a couple of days. It's been almost a week. Hope it doesn't take 3 months to get better but at least I know I'm not alone. If you are on this forum and posted and now yours is better please post how long it took to get better.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • HschmidtHHschmidt Posts: 1
    edited 08/19/2015 - 10:08 AM
    I had breast cancer partial mastectomy and lymph nodes removed 9 days ago and the tip of my tongue is still numb. My surgeon and nurses had not known why. I was hoping not permanent damage, glad to hear others have had. I guess I will have to give it time and hope the feeling comes back. Must be from breathing tube because I didn't have any work done on my neck or spine.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Heather schmidt
advertisement