Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Spreading on Cervical Spine Problems

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The end of Last June I was diagnosed with ddd and more specifically disc btwn C5 and C6 impinging on my nerve root. Between C3 thru C7 there are various bone spurs and assorted herniation, but the worst so far has been between C5 thru C6.

I've had severe left arm pain for 2 years. It has spread to my right arm. I get intermittent electrical zinging down both arms, numbness intermittently in my fingers. The pain in my left shoulder blade is getting worse and at the base of my neck.

Other than that I'm alright. lol. At least this coming Thursday I see the second opinion neurosurgeon my primary neuro is sending me to. They are trying to narrow down exactly where surgery will need to be done. At this point I'm betting my surgery is going to be more extensive than might have been because it is taking so long to get it done.

Frustrating. Meanwhile my DO is keeping me down to 100 mg of Lyrica 3x a day, 15mg of morphine extended release 2x a day and one vicodin a day 5/100 combo with acetimenophen. The pain nevertheless is getting worse. My DDD sent me to a surgical center to get a C6 injection of meds (I forget exactly what).

None of this really seems to help much at this point. But I'll see what the neuro says thursday.

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Perhaps you should review your meds with your PCP. I had to have my meds increased 2 fold a few weeks ago. I'm on MS contin 30 mg every 6 hours. I told my Dr. the pain meds only last 4 hours and even then the pain is still bad. I was taking 30 mg twice a day. I hope they decide what they're doing for your surgery on Thursday. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm on lortab 10/500 every 6 hrs,and they don't last 6 hrs.I notice them wearing off between 3:45 and 4:15.It's frustrating.My next appt with the PM is Dec 29th and I'm going to discuss this with him.

I was never worried about talking about anything with him before,but it seems that the more I read about others experiences the more concerned I get.In the beginning my script was written every 4 hrs as needed,but it was still a 30 day supply.I don't even know when this changed-I didn't look at my label every month,but once reading someones post about this subject (months ago) I looked at mine.I have no idea when it was even changed,but I know it was never discussed during a visit.

Now I read my labels each time I get meds filled/refilled.

Ken,when is the last time you have been without medication? Sometimes the meds are working better than we realize,but because we have developed a tolerance to them and of course we never ignore our pain,we don't know how well they are actually working until a time comes when we can't take our meds for some reason.

Hope your appt goes well :)))
  • I know exactly what you mean when you say shoulder blade pain. One of my worst areas. And the cold damp weather doesn't help it any either. I'm one mass of pain from neck to hips. I'm sure you feel the same way. I'm sorry you are still hurting so much. I talked to my PCP today about pain meds. He told me that if you use pain medication consistantly, that in 10 days your body is used to it, and you need more. You need to be able to have something after surgery for the major pain. I know it's hard when you hurt all the time, but try doing something to distract yourself if possible. Listen to music, read a good book, watch a movie, etc. To some degree, conquering pain can be mind over matter.In my case I don't have much mind, but it doesn't really matter, LOL :))( Pain sucks, no way around it. I will be praying that once you see this second neuro, they get you in and taken care of soon. Please let us know what you find out!

Maggie
  • That's excellent that this is the week you finally get to see the second neurosurgeon! Hooray! If I were in your shoes I would make sure and let him know that things continue to get worse, the longer you wait. Charry's right, I would think getting together with your PCP to go over your pain meds would be a prudent thing to do.

How far do you have to travel to see this second neurosurgeon?

Hang in there, you are getting closer and closer to some sort of resolution!

"C"
  • I know your road has been long and hard. I'm glad that at least you will now be seen a second Neuro. Maybe they are trying to keep your pain meds low because they do know that you will be having surgery and want you to be able to control the pain afterward. In the meantime you are in my thoughts. Let us know what the Neuro has to say. I'll be watching for a post from you. I understand the shoulder pain believe me I sympathize. I live on a heating pad for my shoulders. So I can really feel for you on that one.
  • :H Thanks for your comments and encouragement, guys! It helps a lot when we can all help each other!

It started snowing yesterday here. Its suppose to snow off and on over the next week. We are also getting very low temps for our area. The highs this week are going to be in the 20's fahrenheit and the lows down to the teens. Sure don't help wih the pain.

I have to travel about a one hour drive to seattle to see my second opinion neuro on Thursday. Its suppose to start snowing again Thursday after two days of sun. The whole week the highs are in the 20's. So my concern will be hazardous rood conditions...ice and snow. If its too dangerous I'll have to reschedule.

My wife did suggest a Shuttle Express tho because I've been waiting so long for this.

I'll keep you guys updated. Meanwhile, I'm gonnna find blankets, coffee and a heating pad!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • Take a plane, take a train, take a bus, take a??? Just get there!! :))( You have been waiting so long for this appt. But whatever you take, do be careful, don't want to slip on snow and ice. Here in the farthur reaches of Oregun :P it is still snowing, and 8*. Going to be -1 tomorrow night. Take care.

Maggie
advertisement