Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain-pre surgery down time, please help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
On December 29th I will be having Anterior Cervical Discectomy C56, C67, C7T1 and the current pain is unbearable. I am currently still working because no doctor has put me off work. I am unsure of asking although I feel that some days are better than others but today 12/12 has been the final break of them all. The Neuro doc has me on Elivil 10mg and the PA has me on Flexeril 10mg prn and Tylenol 3 prn.... Elivil is for bedtime and the others are as needed but how am I supose to work if all of the medication I am taking knocks me out? I am miserable and today when I woke up I had a migrane from H*** ~X( .... What should I do? What do I say to the PA or doctor to finally get me on a leave of absense from work? I dont want to sound like a baby but I have never had to experience anything like this before. Its my first major surgery and Im already uptight about it as it is. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
advertisement

Comments

• I would review your meds with your Dr. again. T3s are hardly the right pain meds for that kind of pain, but they may have ordered them because you were still able to work. I just told my Dr. I can't work the pain is too much and I need something stronger for pain. I hope that works for you. I can't imagine having major surgery soon and still being able to work. I hope you find some relief. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think part of my problem is, is that I am so hypersensitive to most pain meds that tylenol 3 was best for me at the time. I am horrible when it comes to taking meds but my pride is getting the best of me. I called the Neuro's office today but they were already gone. Should I head back to the main doc that refered me or wait till Monday? Today is by far the worst day that I have had. I can handle most pain and this is my first ever major surgery. My bp was up when I went to the Neuro's office for the first time and got the news and ever since I have been bent out of shape about it all. Uggghhh I just want it fixed so I can move on with my life. Its been two months too long. My accident was 10/09 this year.

Again thank you for your advice
  • I don't really know your pain level. If t#3's are helping that's good. If those new meds and Tylenol 3s aren't helping then I guess you'll need to tell your Dr. If you're unable to wait and unable to sleep I would head for the ER.Have you tried heating pad/hot water bottle? Some even say ice helps. So if all is not helping they usually have a minor section in the ER where a Dr. could see you. Some are very hesitant about giving meds especially on the weekend and may only give you a few pills to last until you can see your own Dr.
    Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My pain level is about an 8 everyday but I deal with it. Sometimes it burning sometimes it just aches but its constant. The only thing my meds do are knock me out. I sit at work which is part of my job but I can only sit for so long. I do use a heating pad and I have since the accident but seeing docs and taking meds, Im so over it. I just want it to go away. I think Im going to head to the refering doc in the morning so something can be done. Mind you not everyday is the same but the pain never goes away. Some days are better than others.

Again thank you
  • I worked several days in pain thinking it would get better. I was taking double the dosage of tylenol-you know that stuff is bad if taken too long. It finally blew up on a weekend and I went to the ER-got a wonderful, sympathetic doctor and got strong pain meds-only enough for a 10 days but it gave me time to make an appointment with my reg doctor. The best drug he gave ne was the steriods which reduce the inflamtion. I was better in a few weeks.

Pain is a sign something is wrong-some people manage their problems with meds, other can't or won't. I'm the second type. I didn't want to live my life on pain meds and elected to do surgery instead. I posted all about it on the back-neck surgey forum.

It's not an easy decision to make and it's a personal choice-even my surgeon said it's elective because lots of people live with pain and are on meds. I have a friend who is so afraid of the surgery (same one I had 9 days ago), that she lives in pain and restricts her activity. I say, if the surgery has a chancge to get me better, I'll take it. If it doesn't help much, I'll just be in the same boat as I was. Too early to tell if it has worked perfectly for me yet, but at least I feel empowered and I trook control of my life, not the pain.

I wish you luck and many days painfree so you can enjoy yourself this Holiday season!
  • I am currently recovering from having C7 disc replaced in my neck. I have previously had another disc replaced in my lower spine and a spinal fusion prior to that. Please go to your doctor and tell him/her that you cannot keep working they will sign you off and it will help you prepare for your surgery. I have ended up on antipressants with my spine problems before as I would go off work and ended up just not coping with anything (in fact wanted to end my life) which is daft just because I would not ask for the help I needed. Good luck with your surgery you will be so much better after.
advertisement