Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Aproximately 8 weeks post op acdf c5-c6 and becoming more and more depressed and frustrated. Have been going through numb feet and legs with severe pain and pins and needles for nearly three years. Drs and PT all related it to L5 L6 impingment. drs just kept increasing neurontin (now up to 2400 daily), vicodin, relafen, pain patch as time went on.. problems kept moving up body to arms, hands, chest, etc.. and ended up with total numbness of left side. Finally after 4 days of testing drs decided to do cervical MRI and came back with previously unknown severe spinal arthritis, along with total flattening of c5 c6 against sc.. team of NS said surgery needed immediately to prevent paralysis - stunned to say the least especially since never knew of cervical problems.. felt good for about 2 weeks and since experiencing a daily increased levels of pins and needles and numbness in both arms and hands to an extent that left arm and hand again completely numb with exception of both thumbs which feel like they have been hit with hammer.. 80 to 90% loss of motor skills in hands.. problems in upper limbs 10 times worse now then before surgery including increased numbness in feet and legs and gait/balance issues... NS recommends predisone pack for week then another MRI to see what is happening... says may need to go back in already to shore up area below fusion.. also says that problems may be result of nerves being opened up and finally feeling spinal cord damage which may be permanent, but, it beats being paralyzed.. getting more and more frustrated.. pain meds not helping much at all... is this normal post op problems? could have leg and feet issues been related to neck all the time and was entirely missed until it went into upper body? 53 yrs old and up to three years ago in excellent health with no sick leave usage in 22 years...now feel like limbs and body shutting down first slowly and now more rapidly
advertisement

Comments

• It's not unreasonable to call your Surgeon to call in some more pain meds for you. Also are you able to use ice or heat to help? Don't give up I heard it's worse before it gets better. I use Lyrica and amitriptyline for nerve pain maybe that would help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi there!
    Welcome to Spine Health!...
    I just had my neck fused aat C 4-6 a few months ago and I feel for you with your situation. i did not have impingement of the sc.

Anyway I hope that your docs will investigate and get the whole picture. Have you had a second opinion? If not you may want to think about doing so!

Please feel free to PM me if you would like some extra support! I do hope that you start to improve soon!

Nerves do tend to get all excited and sometimes down right angry after they have been released...but then again i am in no way a doc just speaking from my own exp!
    Misty
  • Thank you for the welcome. Ice and heat do not seem to help and my wife would tell family and friends that our house smelled like a ben gay factory due to all of the other ointments that I have tried to bring some relief.. have tried the amitriptyline, celebrex, colchicine, and appealing to insurance company over lyrica to try that. Guess it is true when they say that doctors practice medicine because every doctor seems to want to go a different route which is just basically increasing the levels of the meds. Will except some of the blame because mindset has always been that there are so many others in worse shape healthwise and financially in this economy that hated to be the one to overly complain about problems and should have taken more ownership of healthcare before it deterioated this far. Guess I figured with stringent physical therapy and exercise I would get as strong as possible and reverse it... silly man..lol
  • In both my cervial surgeries the spasms and pain got worse before they got slowly better. The doctors said it was because the nerve is touched and disturbed during surgery. The pain you are feeling is much worse then what I had but your case seem initailly worse too. All you can do it keep getting after the doctorsd and be your own avocate and not give up. Ihope you feel better everyday and that you know others care and feel for you!
advertisement