Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ankle Weakness

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I have had a problem for the past couple of weeks that is new. I will be walking and my left ankle will just roll. It's like I have no stability in the ankle at all. 95% of my leg pain goes down my left leg and has always pretty much ended at my calf. Sometimes down into the foot, but usually only when I do something stupid.

Has this happend to anyone else? I spend quite a bit of time at work walking around and as I walk even with no obstructions my ankle will just give out.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you injured your ankle before, sprained or strained it? I sprained my ankle last year and it still rolls on me I fell over a month ago when my ankle rolled while I was going down my steps and hurt my knee and back even worse than it was lol.
  • I was playing high school football. That was 17 years ago, the last time I sprained my ankle.

The first couple of times I didn't think anything of it. Other than the shockwaves it sent through the rest of my body but it seems to happen at least once a day now.
  • I would talk to your doc about your concern. Maybe start with neuro since it seems it could be something with nerves but hat's just my guess.

Good luck.
  • Hello Kai,
    This is the first time I've replied to a post here!
    I to have the same problem, down my left leg and my ankle will roll at the worst possible time, can be quite embarrasing!lol ;))
    It took me years to figure out that it was due to my back problems.

Which started with my 2nd pregnancy, 5th month when my son turned, i have lrg babies and he had (still does) a big head. 15 yrs ago. My back pain was phenominal, but it was written off as a back ache. That's how it started & I have Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, DDD, bone spurs,foot drop, sciatica & of course chronic pain, which has only gotten worse over the years.

This has been my solution to my ankle rolling.
    I got myself some very good walking shoes with a solid wide flat bottom(no rounded edged soles) sole. I make myself wear them, i used to just run around the house barefoot all the time. Now, instead of an ankle roll i am far more stable and i dont fall down any more, i still feel it but my shoes keep it straight enough so that i can prevent it from happening. I got a Reebok walking shoe & a dressier slip on made by Ariat.
    I'm also going to get prolotherapy on ligaments and tendons, this really helps to rebuild/strengthen. It sure did help with strengthening my back, enough that i don't stand crooked anymore!

I hope that this helps you some! >:D<
  • Hello Ming,
    I'm new to posting here, so bear with me, but I've been reading for a couple of years now.

I don't mean to be nosey, :^o but i noticed that you take Cymbalta. I've recently started Cymbalta about a month ago and i was wondering if it helps your pain any?
    I've been weening off of Paxil & changing over to Cymbalta w/help of a psychiatrist(for medical management).

I also take:
    Gabapentin, morphine sul15mg occasionally(allergic to vycadin/percocet) & lots of vits. For sleep I take 100mg Trazodone & now trying Rozarem, used to take Ambien, but couldn't wake up during the day & still had trouble sleeping. At least with Rozarem i don't need to worry about addiction & I have no side effects, even on those nights i only get a couple of hours sleep. I)

Thank you, ahead of time! :)))
  • for your replies. You are right it is quite embarassing when you are just walking along and bloop you fall over. I had it happen just a few minutes ago. My ankle doesn't hurt, the rest of me does from falling down, it just gives away and folds.
  • I use a cane because that happened often for me also. Have you had an EMG yet? What is your history? If you edit your signiture so we can see diagnosis and surgeries more people may be able to help. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think I got it. I also wrote a little story where I am in the Newbie thread.

If you can help me with the terms I can probably shorten it.
advertisement