Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Decided that I can't take it anymore...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
so I'm going to have the surgery done. Doc said of the 4 bad discs he will only remove the C5/6 disc and use plates and screws for the fusion??

If things don't get better then he'll see about working on the discs above. He thinks it's just the one causing all the pain.
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey KX90,
    I can certainly relate to your decision to have your surgery. We seem to have a few symptoms in common. I had a laminectomy of L4 thru L6 back in 2006. One year later I had a corpectomy, discectomy, multi-level fusion of C3 thru C6 performed both from anterior and posterior ends. Hardware installed were a strut, cage, plates, rods, & screws. My decision was based on if I didn't have it done I would risk permanent paralysis and/or incontinence if I even slipped or fell. The pain was limiting my sleep and I was experiencing tingling and numbness in my left arm and hand due to nerve impingement. I still have nerve damage that most likely will be permanent but I consider the surgery to be successful. I know I made the right decision and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I have to. Do some research, ask a lot of questions, believe in your medical team, and do what you know is best for yourself.
    Take care and the best of luck to you!
    Ranger
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,356
    Second time around is NOT twice as nice.

D
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I hope everything goes well for your surgery. Is this the same surgeon who did your lumber OR as well? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You might ask him about further testing to officially determine the exact disc(s) causing pain. I have a friend who has had multiple surgeries on one level, and only recently learned through a discogram that the levels causing the pain were higher up and looked "good" on MRI.

I would hate for you to face future surgery (I've had 3 myself), so I hope he is certain he is at the right level based on testing, not just gut. One thing I read that surprised me, is that when the docs open your back, it's a mess and they can't always tell what disc is bad. They use the prior testing to help them. I had just thought they'd open me up, see the herniated disc and go from there. Not always the case.

Good luck and I hope this gives you a pain-free life back!

Cheri
  • What Cherish22 said about getting the site tested is a discogram, it can hurt like hell but it's only temporary and finds the bad area/s I had the same region done but it was C5-C7 but they used donor bone due to anterior approach with the plates 3 in all and BMP. Well 10 months later I was back in and had to get a loose screw removed and then they removed the next level up C5-C4 and flipped me over and then cut me from about 1 inch above the hair line to approx. 9" down and installed some screws and rods. I woke up in recovery and felt like crap but wanted to get out of the hospital I left about 30 hrs after they finished the surgery. One thing I hate more than Pain is Hospitals thats where the sick people are :)
advertisement