Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well I broke down and giving MMJ a try

Frustrated101FFrustrated101 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
After this last week of BS doctors, I have given my "wildcard" a try today.My pain levels are just to much now, not worthy of an ER visit, just too much to sit here hoping my "team" will help me and refuse to break my RX by taking more.I have never smoked in my life and will not start now, so I searched for something edible. found a tea, its very cold here so it seemed like the way to go.

I am at about 3 hours now, and surprisingly this is the least pain I have felt in a while, i have severe spasms/nerve pain as well which I think are helped more by the MJ.I still feel pain, but I just feel "better" overall.I still took my norco as usual, the tea was made light and probably not really potent(never had MJ before).I am so far convinced that the potential is there, this is strictly a desperation move and experiment.

Now, I an NOT advocating this for anyone or recommending, just writing my 1 DAY experiment so far with no prior experience to base opinion on and the reduction of pain for ME.

ALSO: I am 100% legit MJ patient in my State, I followed protocol to the letter and have my paperwork in order.I did this a few months back as a possible back up in case my doctors dropped the ball and needed something to make it till I get a 2nd opinion which for now is at least 6 months away and will involve doctors at an out of state choice that I have far more respect for.This last week has broken my soul, I am tired of hurting, doing what I was told and when it didn't work just left with a large bill w/ no DX.Even my ideas brought forth as a possible DX(Psoriatic Arthritis) were dismissed despite strong family history and symptoms that match what I go through daily since before I even heard of the condition.

advertisement

Comments

• I'm glad you're feeling better. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • feel free to pm me with any questions you might have; i'm legal as well and don't use it all the time but it DOES help me significantly at times. Good luck!

JWM
  • :) hi! :H i did not now you were thinking of partaking of the "green." :D it is so great to use for anxiety and pain as well. <:P if you are following the state's guidelines for your state then you should feel fine about what you are doing. i know how bad you have been feeling and i hope this helps you lots. <:P Jenny :)
  • I feel like a lot of the benefits of MJ are overlooked and some of the dangers greatly exaggerated!

I am so glad you feel better! Well, better than you did!

Gentle hugs,
    Nancy
  • Mary Jane? Marijuana? I wish it was legal here, it does provide some pain relief and it is natural. Of course it has it's side effects just like anything you put into your body. I hope it helps you!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Glad you found something that works for you! I'm going to a Christmas Party this evening...maybe the wine will work for me! Take care >:D< >:D<

• Thanks all,

WOW, I slept a full 8 hrs for the first time in a year and have some thoughts I will add to this later via edit.

Its snowing right now and beautiful!!!

But ouch :''(
  • It works for me at times too and I only do in extreme desperation. It's not legal in my state although I don't know why. I think the gov't makes too much off it being illegal therefore they keep it that way. There are so many medical benefits from it and it's more natural than most of the rx meds we take.
  • I am really glad to hear that you have finally found some relief.

• Pros -so far-

MJ for me helps with the nerve pain, spasms and insomnia.I basically, have Norco 10/325 as my pain med w/ Aleve on occasion.Together, the synergy was great for overall relief and despite the combo a true "high" didn't seem to be an issue, though I am new to MJ.It took awhile for it to kick in due to being consumed-1.5 hrs in my case- so its not for quick relief in this case, smoking may alter that.It lasted 6 hrs or so, with a great sleep towards the end.Which brings me to the cons...

Cons -so far-

While it helped with some pain, the achey stabbing pains were not reduced much, certainly more in the background at best.The muscles relax very well, I have never tried a muscle relaxer to compare, my doctor says they serve no use for my condition-whatever, but the tiredness comes out of the blue and you are out-I just recall feeling sleepy and awaking to my alarm the next day.So its definitely not a just take and run about your day thing, maybe tolerance has a bit to do here --but I would not consider this a daytime positive for ME.There was some GI distress too, just a little off nothing bad, certainly Aleve(not taken this time) has done far worse.

Final words:

I am trying a recipe tonight w/ cheese as the base.My final try for now, to see if a stronger form via process works better.Milk/butter vs Cheese, THC requires heat and fat to be used as an edible.

Ok, so I want to state again this choice was mine and weighed heavily over the last few months w/ research before hand.I got myself legal in my State, I do not want any to see my posts seeing this as anything more than an experience and my findings are purely based on my body and what I felt.As with any drug consulting a doctor, or in this case being sure your legal rights is important.

I still feel that MJ by itself would not be my number 1 choice of pain relief, too variable and dosage/potency are not 100% guaranteed.So I plan to keep the Norco and actually hope my next team of doctors will give me better pain management.

• Lets just say I was seeing things, sounds were melting, oh dear I thought I was going crazy.I thought the dose was small, I had an experienced person at the resource center give me details, guess I am hyper sensitive.So it was an interesting experience , but too variable for me and the loss of control last night has me hesitant to use on a full time basis.

I know my experiment was not very scientific or controlled by I will say MMJ has a purpose(nerve, spasm relief were really good IMHO) insomnia is quite covered unless u over do it then watch out!!!

Back to my reg. scheduled meds 8}
  • I agree that a big con would be that it knocks me out so it wouldn't be good to use during the day if you need to function. This could be a pro if you take before bed. The other con for me was the munchies. I could never get enough to eat and then I would pass out. It does work for muscle spasms and pain in my opinion.
advertisement