Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ct-Myleogram results.. Upcoming surgeons appt

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
:H Hi all I am new and hoping to get some answers or opinions .. I am a 38 yo female with history of backpain since my teens.. I recently had a myeleogrem/ct done this being my third one had them prior to two other surgeries. Fisrt surgery was spinal fusion with cages l4-l5.. Second was laminectomy l3-l4. My myleogram results are as follows.

There is moderate levoconvex lumbar scoliosis. Vertebral bodies are preserved. Alignment of posterior elements are anatomic. There are postoperative changes including a cage prosthesis at the L4-L5 level. There is diffuse sclerosis of the l4-l5 vertebral bodies.

L3-L4 there is a broad based disc protrusion at this level.There is bilateral facet hypertrophy and ligament thickening. These factors in combination cause canal narrowing. There is effacement of both lateral recesses.

L4-L5 The patient has had a posterior decompression at this level. There is mild to moderate bilateral facet hypertrophy.

L5-S1 There is mild to moderate bilateral facet hypertrophy.

There is encroachment on the right L4-L5, L5-S1, and left L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 neural foramina. This is most prominent at the L4-L5 level. This is related to facet hypertrophy, ligament thickening and disc material.

Impression
1. Postoperative changes at the L4-L5 level.
2. Broad based disc protrusion at L3-L4. This causes canal narrowing and effacement of the lateral recesses,
3. Foraminal narrowing at the levels described above.

I was just wondering what anyone thought of these findings .. I am in terrific pain all the time, my back from the surgical area to my tailbone is in constant pain. My legs go between cramps, stinging pains, ans numbness its different everyday.

I am seeing the surgeon to decide when to schedule my 3rd surgey on the 23rd. I was told that they would have to go in and stabilize the 3 levels. Im a little concerened since the last 2 surgeries werent all that sucessful. I only had a few months of relief. Anyone out there going thru anything similar .. I would love to hear from you. Sorry this is so long, and thankyou in advance for any responses.
advertisement

Comments

• It looks like you have alot going on. I'm not a Dr. so I couldn't give an interpretation to your MRI. We can only share experiences with each other here. I'm sure you're having pain with the looks of your MRI. I hope you're getting sufficient pain management until you're next and hopefully successful final surgery. Take care and keep in touch with your progress. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :H Hi Charry,
    Thanks for replying so soon. I forgot to mention the pain meds that I am taking now arent doing much. I am on Oxycodone 10-325 every 6 hrs, Lyrica 75mgs 3 times a day, Cyclobenzaprine 10 mgs 3 times a day, Xanax .5 mgs 3 times a day and am on Zoloft 20 mgs once a day. MY primary Dr doesnt like to prescribe narcotics. I have tried all other sorts of pain management have had 3 sets of 4 epidurals which the pain from them was worse them the original pain ..and they never worked only the first set for a short time I have also tried therapy many times including water therapy. :< I was finally going to start with a pain management dr but now I am scheduled with the surgeon. Hopefully all will go okay. Got my fingers crossed. Thanks again Ps. also using a TENS unit and moist heat, helps some
  • that you liked my name?
  • =))
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • As I said in your private msg to me I did not look at peoples names before making one of my own .. its the first thing that came to mind .. And again I am sorry that I cant change it.
  • Many of us have not gone through the amount of pain and discomfort you have, some have. I've only been a member for a few days but try to be supportive because I know pain acknowledged and shared make us feel we are not suffering alone. I've had my terrible days where pain is all I feel and other days where I can laugh and sing and be happy. Those days are worth living for and with time (sometimes many years)many of us get to the point where there are more good days than bad.

Keep going after those doctors and get new ones if necessary. Many doctors worry more about you becoming an addict then they do your pain-but other realize they are only a bridge and you need to be proative with your care and say you are doing everything you can to get to a resolution but until other doctors/surgeons can figure a way to help you, you need relief. Pain management in the USA is wrapped up in abuse as well so doctors have to be careful, but they should be able to tell from your test results you are a legitimate candidate for whatever it takes to help you through the day. Find one who will work with you.

I believe surgery is the best chance for normacy in many cases bt only if that is what your doctors order. But I didn't go on just the first doctor's recommendation. I sought out a second and third opinion and I went with the surgeon with the most experience and best results. It took research and some travelling but it's my only body-it was worth it to me to be my own avocate and "doctor". Learn all you can.

I wish you the best of luck and many good days ahead and postive vibes-hopefully you'll soon have all your answers. Don't give up!
  • Hi Turtle,
    I have actually seen two other surgeons in the past two years who also said surgery was the only option but one said to wait til I couldnt get outta bed anymore .. he may be a surgeon but apparently doesnt suffer from the pain that most of us do the other also reccomended waiting a bit since I was so young according to him he didnt want to restrict my bending until absolutely necessary. They were both neurosurgeons as is the new one. I know I probably waited to long but its a scary thing since the others didnt work .. I left work a year ago figuring that I would be able to lay down in the middle of the day and get some relief but I seem to only have gotten worse from sitting around the house all day. All I can do is hope :|
  • :H I changed it just for you .. Truce ??? :D
  • Hi all,
    My Surgeons Appt was Moved one day earlier, its now the 22nd.. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!!! :SS
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.