Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what the....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
hiya all. I have read most of the threads on here but cant find one that matches what I seem to have. I had a PLIF to L3-L4 over 12 months ago. I continue to find it difficult to bend over in the morning for at least 1/2 hour. I also have numbness and sharp pins and needles to both thighs. This occurs at the same time as my very lower back feels like it is being squeezed and this also becomes painful. This situation however, doesn't happen all the time. When I am moving just about my house I only get numbness to my thighs and that not all the time. Its whenever I go "for example" shopping. When I walk around the shops my legs and back become increasingly more painful until I have to sit. After a while the pain goes and I can once again walk for another short distance before it starts again. My doctor is sending me to the pain clinic and in the meanwhile is considering putting me on oxycontin. However, as the pain and effects of this seem to come and go does anyone think that this is overkill with the meds. And also, does anyone have anything similiar. It's driving me nuts as I don't know what I do that makes it come and go. Any help with this would be very very appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya, do you get pain when you wake up? :? do you have problems getting out of bed? :? do it hurts when you turn or twist or bend in any direction? :? I was reffered to pain management last year, :) and i was dreading it, :SS as i have had bad experiences with doctors :S , but i can say ts the best thing i ever did was go to them :) .

Angie :H
  • Did this start immediately after surgery or is it something that just popped up? I just had a two level TLIF on 11/21 and I have the numbie tingling aching in my right side of the lower back starting at the incision sight and going down my buttock and on the outside of my thigh. I have noticed that it worsens when I go out of my walks or doing anything in the vertical position. It is also more noticable first thing in the morning. My doctor seems to think that the nerves were simply irritated due to the surgery and that it will go away on it's own. I dunno...

One Love,

Stephanie
  • thanks backpainishell and downinmyheart for your responses. My back surgery was just over 12 months ago. My symptoms resurfaced about 6 months after surgery. I have no pain in my surgical site. Neither do i have pain in my buttocks. I do have a feeling in my lower back that feels like it is raw, (best way i can describe it). When i am doing nothing i am aware that my back doesnt feel right and occationally when sitting it feels like someone has poured cold water on my anterior thighs. Otherwise, my problems are mainly when i go for a walk or stand to long. It starts with a tightness in my lower back, about 4 inches below my operation site. This becomes an intense squeezing pain. At the same time my outer thighs become numb. I then get sharp stabbing pains like needles in my muscles. My legs feel heavy and dont want to move properly. If i sit down my pain subsides but this can take 5 min to 1/2 an hour and during this time i get cramps in my thighs. If i then start walking again the same thing happens all over again. I have stiffness in my op site first thing in the morning. After moving around for 1/2 an hour this eases and I am able to bend to get dressed. I hope this better describes my symptoms. Tanks again for you responses and hope to hear from you soon.

"ALL ADVICE GIVEN IS BASED ON OUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES"
    "WE ARE NOT MEDICALLY TRAINED IN THIS FIELD"

I had a lumbar PLIF L3/L4 12 months ago. I also have spondylosis in my neck. My name is victor I am a mental health nurse and live and work in Blackburn Lancashire England.
  • Do you think you need another MRI or what does your Surgeon say? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am no doctor of course, but it sounds like you are having nerve impingement somewhere in your lumbar spine again. Did you have instrumentation with your PLIF?

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I also felt like I was sent to PM because the other doc figured that he would just drug me up because there were no other options. But, I was pleasantly surprised. My PM doc is actually the one that diagnosed me and has been a lifesaver over the last 3 years. So, give the PM a chance. I think that lots of times since they deal solely with pain that they are better equipped to make a diagnosis. They have so many different diagnostic tools that they can use. Much more than a surgeon is willing to do. Hopefully this will be a positive experience for you. Try not to look at it as a last resort that will only offer pain meds. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • yes i do have intrumentation in my back. And yes i am looking forward to seeing the PM to see what they have to offer. I realy appreciate all of your insights. Thanks again. victor
  • I hope your new PM doc treats you well and can help you through your pain.

I've posted this before in other threads; just walking is not a problem. It's the shuffling type of walking that is done during shopping that gets me. I guess the mechanics of how your (my) legs and back move during shopping as opposed to just walking. Who knows?

I have a question for you: is your back tender where the instrumentation is? I had a "staple" of sorts in my knee years back (in the 70's) because of surgery on the knee cap and tendons, etc., and if you barely touched that area I was through the roof! After a couple years, I had it removed. I still get a little tender now a days, but NOTHING compared to back then. My husband has a plate and screws in his ankle and I was just wondering if the surrounding body tissue still rejects foreign material or if modern medicine has come that far along.... Thanks!

Take care now, you hear?

Jeaux
  • Thanks jeauxbert for your entry. My back is tender over the scar left by my operation, but only slightly so. I can agree with you about the shuffling. I sometimes think i must look like one of michael jacksons "beat it" zombies when i walk around the the shops. I am looking forward to the pain clinic. In the meanwhile my doctor has just put me on MST tablets and liquid morphine if i need more due to breakthrough symptoms. I haven't been on this before so i will see if it helps. I would say that so far I dont appear to be having problems with my internal fixations. Thanks again for your input.

PLIF L3-L4 with fixation. Also, DDD and cervical spondylosis

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.