Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here. Hi, I'm Lisa.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I was an x-ray tech for 15 years. I used to take the x-rays in spinal fusion surgeries, so I've seen them done--at least the way they did them till '96.

I fell coming out of surgery in 1995, on a newly waxed floor, and hurt my neck the first time. I was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome.

In 1996, I was working in a medical office, and a second fall a year later caused disc ruptures at C5, C6 (bad enough for surgery) and C6, C7 (not immediately bad enough for surgery) as well as at L5, S1 (still, hopelfully, not bad enough for surgery). I had a fusion at C5, C6 in 1997 and a fusion at C6, C7 in 2001.

I had to go back to school, and got a degree in English, because the neurosurgeon told me I was going to have to find a way to make living with my head, because I wouldn't be able to make a living with my back anymore. When I finally found a way to make a lining with an English degree, it was three years, ago, just as I was being told that I needed a third surgery at C4, C5. The pain was ungodly, I was in Pain Management, having regular epidurals
and taking Percocet and none of that was cutting it any more.

The neurosurgeon told me I would lose right shoulder movement for at least 6 months, but no more than a year, after the surgery, because of the level--that's where the shoulder nerves are.

I talked to my sister, who had gone to teach in Arizona with her English degree. I was very concerned about the surgery, because I lost my voice for 9 months after the second surgery, because of damage to a vocal chord.

I decided to see if I could put the surgery off for a while by moving to a much drier climate, and seeing if the pain got better. It did, for a while.

This year, I have been having one fall after another, at least one good one every month, no matter how careful I am. The pain has gotten much worse in my neck, back to unbearable again, and I have a lot of numb spots and muscle spasms. My right foot doesn't seem to listen to me. I can't feel the bottom of it very well.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. I am going to a neurosurgeon tomorrow, to see if I have progressed to stenosis or whether I have something like MS going on. I have a persistent pneumonia since July that is complicating everything, and that almost killed me, so surgery may not be an option anyway. I haven't worked in months now.

Sorry to such a bummer. I really am glad to be breathing and getting pain management again.

Thanks for listening.

Lisa

advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health....
  • You really are not a bummer. It sounds like you have really been through alot. I hope that you get some good news at your visit with the surgeon tomorrow. Please let us know how you make out.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. <:P you sound like your pain is not under control at all. perhaps some pain medication would help. you should talk to your doctor about that. please be sure and get a second opinion. :? it can save on regrets later. good luck in your search for pain relief. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to SH, it's good to have you here and I hope you benefit from the experiences and advice. Keep us posted on how you are doing and I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Please be careful and I hope your pain gets under control. Take care.
  • I'm sorry you're going through so much now. That's great you got your degree in English that's an accomplishment and be proud of yourself. I hope the Neurosurgeon finds out what's going on with your falling alot. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement