Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

a few questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
Well I have a DDD, Mild retolisthesis of the L4 and L5. I tear in the annular central. A disk heriation in the L5 and the disk abuts the left and right nerve roots. I'm on a muscle relaxer, vicdin, and tromadol. I have jumped threw every hoop that the doctors have ask me to. I know that they what to do surgery but this has been going on for about 9 months. I just want to know how long everyone else had to do all this tricks for the doctors before the would schedule surgery? I'm still working and getting worse everyday that passes. I'm at the point I want to leave my job because it is unfair to my other co-workers to pick up my slack. Please someone a little advice would put my mind at ease. Thank you


  • i have been doing everything i have been asked to do since january. i also feel my co-workers are carrying me but thankfully they are suportive. i havent even had an mri yet they will consider it in the new year, along with talking of operating. i am in a position that i cannot afford to leave my job even though every day i get so much pain just being there. sometimes feel everyone i work with would be better off if i left,but ive worked my --- off to get this far in my career. im not leaving unless i absolutely have to. they will have to carry me out of there if i get to the point where i cant walk. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
  • #:S Some times I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way. I have had the x-rays and mri and injections along with PT. I worked hard to be in the postion I'm in too, so I'm not ready to give up yet. I just wonder if any of our doctors felt they way we do if they would make us wait. Unless you are or have gone threw it you don't understand. Thank you so much for being here for me. Just remember I'm always here for you and anyone one else who needs me. >:D<
  • I'm sorry you have to work through so much pain. I can't go back to work and I've been off for 10 months and have not been offered surgery. I guess they think sometimes these things can heal themselves. I'm lucky to have good benefits to stay off work. I miss working and felt guilty at first but all I can do is walk a few steps and I'm down for the count. At first I was like you and worked through the pain for 3 months until I was unable to walk anymore. Even at that point no one wants to do surgery. Now I would rather try things conservatively and wait to be healed. Try to get physio or do water therapy to build up your core muscles. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • have you asked dr if surgery was appropriate and if not why? and if yes, tell you need it asap. have you had all tests? there is a discectomy where they inject dye into back to see if your disc are herniated and also a nerve conduction test to test your reflexes. have you gone the whole route? if yes then ask dr when and if you should have surgery. don't wait for him. be proactive and question him
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Hello. All the test are done and met with the doctor yesterday and fusion is the only option due to DDD. Anytome from now until the middle of January I will be going in. I'm just waiting for the insurance to approve it. I'm hanging in until than. thank you.
  • remember, it takes a long time to heal from fusion surgery. listen to dr and obey all of his orders. don't push it. i was lucky my hospital had a class to attend before fusion. does yours have one also?
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.