Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hydrocodone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Since my surgery in June, I've been taking hydrocodone 5/550. Originally, I was told to take 1 tab. every 6 hrs. Yeah, right, that's gonna help. Got my surgeon to increase to 2 tab. every 6 hrs. Still didn't touch the pain. Then, on my own I started taking 2 every 4 hours, maybe 3 times a day. I've tried to get the surgeon to decrease the tylenol portion and increase the hydrocodone, but he wouldn't do it. Since I had to go to my GP today for an ear infection, I asked her if she could give me something else. She FINALLY prescribed the 7.5 mg. hydrocodone with 325 mg. tylenol with instructions to take 1-1/2 every 6 hours. Since I had the bottle of 5/550 with me, I surrendered those to her, which she noted in my chart. I try not to take a pain med but one time a day and just suck it up the rest of the day.

Sometimes you just have to be your own advocate to get what you need! I'm so glad I found this site and have such great information around. Thanks to all of you!

Hopefully, this change in meds will decrease my pain.
advertisement

Comments

• :) it is probably just as well you moved the responsibility for your meds away from your surgeon and back to your GP. <:P that is a more lasting situation anyway. i am glad you got the medication to help you. =D> sometimes you do know what you need, and if the doctor can't, or won't hear you, it is time to be active and take care of yourself. you did just the right thing. <:P now take your meds, get some rest and start tomorrow knowing you finally have some adequate pain control!! Jenny :)
  • Hi, I'm surprised your surgeon gave you a low dose after surgery. By the way, what type of surgery did you have? When I had my fusion, I was already on Fentanyl and was taking 10/325 mg of hydrocodone. The post op pain was very intense and so was the muscle spasms. I hope the 7.5 mg's help you out and that your ear infection clears up. Take care.
  • Yeah, my surgeon is ultra-conservative! I had fusion of L4-L5 in June. I really can tell the diff. between the 5 and the 7.5 already!
  • Welcome to spine health, and as with everyone, I wish you the best with your health and your pain.

I have to disagree with the previous post's support on here for your actions. You stated that you '..try not to take a pain med but one time a day and just suck it up the rest of the day.'. However, you said in the same post that '..on my own I started taking 2 every 4 hours, maybe 3 times a day..', in regards to your Vicodin, when you were prescribed half of that or less.

I'm not going to disagree if anyone wants to suggest that your fusion procedure can cause significant pain, however, you've made it five months on small amounts of vicodin; that is excellent, but it is no reason to disregard your doctor's instructions and double your meds without a prescription for such use.

Self-medicating is not a healthy action. You should never be taking more than prescribed by your doctor, and others here should not be supporting those actions. It might seem like 'not a big deal' with a couple of Vicodin, but it simply makes you comfortable with the action, and it could lead to problems in the future if you have to handle stronger meds.

Take care of your back and be safe; you seem to be doing very well and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

JWM
  • I think you might also be experiencing some placebo effect from the new dosage.

If you were taking 2 hydrocodone 5/500 tablets, you were getting 10mg of hydrocodone every 4 hours.

At the dose of 1 1/2 hydrocodone 7.5/325 tablets, you're only getting 11.25mg of hydrocodone every 6 hours - unless you've decided you'd like to take a different dose on your own.

I'm always disturbed when I see people essentially re-writing their prescriptions. The irony is that people can't get adequate treatment from their ultra conservative physicians because someone before them re-wrote their prescription.
advertisement