Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post surgery newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone,
I just had anterior surgery on C5-C6 and received an artificial disc replacement (September 22, 2008). Doing pretty well but have that "swallowed a golf ball" feeling which is very weird. I have a brother who is a physical therapist who has helped me survive without surgery for the last 4 years but had to finally submit to it. I still do post op physical therapy 5 mornings a week for an hour in the morning and walk or jog 5 to 7 miles almost every day. Just curious about other artificial disc recipients and when the golf ball goes away (if ever).Furthermore, I have pain in neck still and wonder if it will be quite a while before that abates. My headaches have lessened and my arms have returned to normal but my neck is still bad.

I have survived L5 laminotomy/discectomy in 2002 (I was 34 years old)..took 2 years for symptoms to completely go away but now very active and no back problems so I feel very blessed. Wanted to share that positive note with everyone.
Thanks for being here..it was reassuring to see that others have had throat constriction issues. I was scared for a while. Tell me more. :H

Thank you
advertisement

Comments

• and I'm coming up on 6 months post op. Someone on here said it could be scar tissue, which I'm going to ask my DO about when I go for my 6 month check up next month.

I've had days where I feel like pre-surgery, but again, the nurse said some of it could be due to the cold weather we've had recently here in GA. Today, I felt pretty good but I can feel the nerve more and the numbness lessened quite a bit since yesterday. Been told to this could take up to a year to heal. I was walking about 3 miles a day after my surgery and that helped a lot. I've been trying to stay active after work doing the walks, but they've kind of dropped off since I've been working some long hours recently.

There are a lot of folks on here that have been a great relief for me and hearing their post surgery updates. I call my DO's office whenever anything weird comes up, and they don't mind in the least.

• Jeff,you mentioned long hours at work. I am working also and think that it aggravates the whole situation but what are we supposed to do..can't not work yet it's difficult to keep from breaking my restrictions from surgery. It's not cold here (Florida) so I can't blame my symptoms on the cold B) Let me know how your symptoms go..

I see the Dr again for more x-rays in January which will be 3 1/2 months post op. we will see if the lower mechanism moved again (it moved 2 mm) last time.