Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Good News
can anyone help with quick relief. Had sciatica in right leg in 1998 and now has come back in left leg. Very tiring and painful
advertisement

Comments

• I'm not sure what to offer for quick releif. I know pain meds don't touch the sciatic. There are stretches you can try. Talk to your doc or see if you can be referred to PT.
  • Can be of some help; right now I'm going for physiotherapy WITH acupuncture, and have had SOME relief. Unfortunately, there is so much other inflammation in there that even with my meds I have pain right down as far as my rectum where the nerve runs......

Forward lunges are a good stretch for the joint; just be sure that your knee never goes over your foot when you're doing them. Good luck!

Tracy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,714
    When I do get some flare ups with sciatica, stretching normally is the quickest way to get things back on track.
    I have also had some luck hitting the right pressure points using my theracane or another device that will dig deep into pressure point areas
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi,

yes everyone is right stretches are th best, but like everyone said ask your doctor first, i can tell you what i do.

I have a small about 12" foam block [rectange] its a pilates block from models, i place my rear on it and lay on the floor and keep on knee bent and feet on floor then stretch one leg out one at a time flat on the floor, it seperates my hips and sometimes i feel a popping sound, and puts the hps in place.

also i lay on the floor and bend my knees feet on floor then bring opposite foot place on knee and push my knee outward with my foot supported on stable bent leg it helps stretch.

My favorite though others may not be able to handle, SO ASK YOUR DOCTOR!1

Tennis balls i place then under me while im laying down on a flat surface low in the rear one on each side where the muscles are and it release the spasms and i keep adjusting the balls untill i feel the right stretch and even move them up untill i feel spots that kick in the sciatica and let the muscles stretch and release the spasms.

LIKE I SAID THEY ARE FIRM BALLS IT WORKS FOR ME, BUT COULD HURT OR BE UNCOMFORTABLE FOR OTHERS.

good luck, and feel better

HAPPY STRETCHING.

DAWN
  • :) i see you this is your first post and i want to welcome you to the forum. :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. What about trying Lryica or some other nerve pain medication? your doctor would know about this! :-C i use it for sciatica and it is better than it has ever been. good luck as you search for pain relief. Jenny :)
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
    edited 06/20/2016 - 9:56 AM
    I have heard some very positive stories of sciatica being treated by taking lessons in the Alexander Technique. It is very gentle and there's no manipulation or anything like that involved. It also had a very good write up in the British Medical Journal recently.

Good Luck
advertisement