Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and searching

StevenSSteven Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions

I'm a 68 year old male who was in training for his 6th marathon back in February and began to experience right hip pain and left heel plantar fasciitis, or so I thought. Thinking it was because I wasn’t training hard enough or smart enough, I redoubled my efforts. Yikes! And it was in the first week of March that I decided that I could no longer put up with the right hip pain. I went to see my GP and told him I was probably suffering from Piriformis Syndrome. My own diagnosis - and he concurred, sending me off to a physical therapist. Three weeks of PT didn’t work and so I returned to my GP and got a referral to an acupuncturist (MD). No help was found there. Back to the GP who sent me to a pain clinic for my first epidural steroid injection into the L5-S1 space. Relief! For only about a week. It was at this time that I noted that my ‘plantar fasciitis’ pain disappeared completely with the injection. I went back to the GP and received a referral to a Neurosurgeon and had an MRI as well. Neurosurgeon told me that I had Stenosis and there wasn’t much he could do at that point. He said he could offer surgery if I really wanted it, but that I was going to be in a ‘world of hurt’. (his words) We also discussed the X-Stop, but he didn’t like the fact that it is essentially unsecured within the spinal processes. Now back to the pain clinic for RF Lesioning. Guaranteed to work! Total failure this time. After an appropriate interval, I went back to the pain clinic and was given second epidural. And once again the left heel pain went away, though the right hip pain is still present. I will meet with the pain clinic doctor on the 23rd and then ask for a referral to a physiatrist and for a second surgical opinion. And I have to tell them that there is no way that I’m having another epidural! Some people can stand that kind of pain but I’m not one of them.

So here I am, hoping to find some nuggets of good info that will get me back to training…
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,729
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Sorry you are dealing with this pain now.. From what you posted, I am figuring out that your current diagnosis is
    Stenosis? Is that correct? Have you had a MRI or any other diagnostic test to determine Spinal and Disc health?
    Many people deal with Stenosis without having any surgical procedures. Its something you just have to deal with until it gets to the point where you can no longer put up with it. I've had 7 spinal surgeries and the stenosis in my thoracic and lumbar area continues to narrow causing pain. What I have been doing to avoid another surgery is lots of Aqua Therapy, stretching and exercises that were approved by my doctor. For now I am putting of any surgery for that. My father had surgery for his stenosis when he was 67 and from that point on his stenosis continued to give him more and more problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hey there, sounds like ur in need of t.l.c. I Have L5-S1 rupture and prolapse onto S1 nerve root, I try everything natural, fish oils vitamins, ginger capsules and especially b- complex and healthy food everyday,I even tried tai-chi. I try sitting cross legged on foam matt on floor and pullimg shoulders back and head up,I find this helps increase disc space I do gentle stretching daily and deep breathing exercises and this helps me focus and relax cos stress exacerbates my condition sounds a bit fruity but thats what i do. I have been offered surgery and have till feb next year to decide. I wish u well, stay positive and relax as much as possible. Ben ps whats an X stop???
  • I was wondering the same thing. I've never heard of X-stop before. What is it?
  • Link to X-Stop info....

http://www.xstopspacer.com/

There's more than a few different hardware devices out there and probably more being developed all of the time. The surgeon I consulted with said he's uncomfortable with the fact that there is no direct mechanical connection to the bone. So I'm going to look for a second opinion.
advertisement