Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Gords, What do u do with.....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
your strengthening and stretching when you hit a flare up. I go along great and am building core muscles, stretching then will hit a flare up (self induced sometimes and who knows sometimes?) My butt gets soooo tight that I do slow stretching but do you cut back and keep the strengthening or quit until the flare is over...I feel like I could go in circles if I quit???
advertisement

Comments

• i go back one step and wait or I find i aggravate myself more and make the recovery worse.

Good Luck!
  • so you knock out the earliest thing you've added in but keep the rest the same or do you cut back on the stuff you are keeping? Did that make any sense?? lol Do your butt/hip muscles get extremely tight and burn?? I remember that you and I both have the 10 day flare up thing instead of the one day :S
  • Depending on the seriousness of the pain, I either do less of the strengthening and stretching exercises, or may even avoid them for a day. Most important - I do my best to not overdo it. No matter what, I still always walk 1.5-2 miles per day.

If I do have a flare up while exercising, I first try to make sure I am doing the routine correctly. Pain is either a sign of working muscles which haven't been used much in a while (normal), or because you are doing something wrong. If I am doing something wrong, I correct it. If I am doing it correctly, I either ease up or stop the activity all together.

My current routine is:

- mid-morning: walk 1.5-2 miles

- late-morning/early-afternoon: full set of strengthening/stretching exercises

-early evening: second set of strengthening/stretching exercises

For me, flare ups typically show up the following morning, in which case I take it easier that day.

It really is a tough call ... you don't want pain and discomfort, but you also don't want to completely stop the exercises, which are a key to recovery.

• Thanks Mark!
    I really need to hear this. Why don't the docs tell you all this? The hardest call is when you don't know what on earth you've done to cause it. :?
  • Are you going to a PT? IS anyone supervising your exercises?
    That really does help even if it is to say that you need different ones now or do 10 more of this one and 5 less of that.
    I agree with Mark that it may just be the way you are doing them that is incorrect or maybe if your butt is getting too tight then you need to hold (clench) for less and also do some hamstring stretches.
    you really dont want to let your hamstring get too tight.

I have just started at the gym and the EP had given me a whole list of exercsies and stretches but he said not to do them all each day. Choose some and rotate them so I do each one 4-5 times a week but to walk every day.
    This way it also keep sit interesting, then he gave me some basic ones to do if I am having a bad day and I need things to be lighter.

Are you completely out of your brace now?
    Blessings Sara O:)

• Hi Carol,
    Pacing has been the hardest thing for me. I suffer with latent pain and my flares last 10 days so it takes me a while to identify my aggravating trigger.

I tend to review my day/activity, what I have done that may have done it.
    I look at food (tomatoes, wine, peppers, chilli - the deadly nightshades)
    I look at weather
    I think - where i am on monthly cycle
    PT - I have to have ultrasound at end of session or i can't tolerate it
    what did I do - any more in/out of car, lifting, twisting?

I can usually find it - annoying cos it is usually the little things. I then remove the action, let pain settle and try it again, carefully.

pm me if you need anymore suggestions.

Burning - i get groin/buttock burning. I am sure my is nerve related, reaches out and causes muscle spasm.

Take care
  • My PT advised me to simply stop all exercises until the pain recedes (assuming that she couldn't fix it immediately with physiotherapy). As she pointed out to me stopping your exercises for a day or so will not adversely affect your recovery in the overall scope of things.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

advertisement