Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Replacement Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 26 years old and am having surgery on January 21, 2009. I have a "bad" disc at L4-5 that is just getting worse and will not get any better. I have had this pain off and on for my whole life but over the past 3 years it has become constant and there is no way I can continue to live like this. I have been through physical therapy, chiropractic, massage therapy, and nothing has worked so surgery is now the next step. My doctor thinks I am a very good candidate for the disc replacement becuase of my age. Has anyone else had this surgery and if so did you have a battle with your health insurance. My spine surgeon said that a lot of insurance companies do not approve the disc replacement surgery and they are calling today to find out if my health insurance will cover it. If they do not then I am going to have to have a fusion done. Any input?
advertisement

Comments

• I was supposed to have a disc replacement L5/S1, however after over 3 months of apealling the insurance company and going to the NYS Insurance Dept, I finally gave in and had a fusion. I suggest you follow through to see if you can get this approved as far up the chain as you can. If you have a surgeon who is experienced and highly recommended in this surgery then in my opinion, you should follow through rather than fusion. I wish I could've had replacement instead of fusion. I've heard that in the long run it is better since fusions have been known to cause more stress on your healthy discs which can wear out over time therefore you may need additional surgery in 5-15 years.

This is just my opinion and I am not a medical professional by any means.

I wish you the best of luck when dealing with your insurance. It depends on what state you are in and what insurance company you have. I beleive BCBS has yet to approve this surgery.
  • Thank you very much! I have Coventry and am hoping they will approve it or at least go on a case by case basis so I can fight it. Luckily my surgeon is willing to fight it too. He said if they flat out say no, then he will contact the medical director for coventry to see if he can get it approved that way. So lets hope!!!
This discussion has been closed.