Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motorized Scooters

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone,

I was watching the commercial for The Scooter Store and they say they can get you one through Medicare or private insurance for little or next to nothing out of pocket. I was wondering if anyone here has ever applied for one. Also, do you all like me use them at stores or supermarket and how do you feel about it? I have to use them and I'm not embarrassed anymore. If I go somewhere I worry about getting around. Walking, standing or sitting too long while cause more pain. Lately if I venture out, I will feel too uncomfortable and can hardly wait to go home.
advertisement

Comments

• I'd like to get one, but, I might tend to get a little lazy and not push myself if I did. What I mean is, if you don't use muscles, they waste away. I feel that FOR ME, if I didn't push myself to do at least the minimal, I'd probably be in worse shape than I am now.

I do use the ones in the stores at times. And I feel really bad for doing so. I'm young (relatively) and don't have a cast anywhere, or a brace, etc. for someone to actually SEE I am having problems getting around... My husband was a bit put off the first time I used one at Wal-Mart. He rolled his eyes. And the darned thing kept getting stuck if I had to roll over one of the rubber mats or something like that; had a hard time in the really crowded aisles (which became extremely crowded after Katrina - we live about 45 - 50 miles from New Orleans). He said it was more trouble than it was worth. But he cooled off once I had my surgery and everything. He'd rather I NOT hurt, so he's more understanding...

BUT THEN, he broke his ankle. And had to depend on them everytime we went to any store. NOW, he's REALLY understanding.

My dad is now 83 years old. He's old, feeble, has Parkinson's, etc (and a wickedly dry sense of humor - I LOVE it!). A few years ago, I told my Mom to tell his doc to write a script for a scooter for him to get around in. Doc said "NOPE. He needs to walk!" Had I been there, I'd have argued with him. I didn't want it for him inside, but for OUTSIDE where the ground is uneven. Since then, he's been a hermit. NEVER goes outside (but I did manage to get him and Mom to ride all the way to ALexandria LA for Hurricane Gustav!). He stays in his room, watching TV. His body has gotten weaker.

I'd say if you want one and your doc will give you a script for one, go for it. It'd likely be a good thing for you.

Just consider this: Those things don't pack themselves in your vehicle!

Take care, sweetie!

Jeaux
  • I'm sorry your dad wasn't able to get one. I think it'd really do him good. Ain't no way I'd go in Walmart without one, you can get trapped in that store for hours :D I don't think I'd qualify for that anyway and I have a small car. Do they approve you for back conditions? I do have a problem getting around. I even thought about getting a walker that comes with a basket with 4 wheels for when I'm somewhere with no scooters. For now I use a cane.
  • I am not worried about what others think, they have never walked in my shoes. But, I absolutely agree with Jeaux. I would only use one when I absolutely have no other choice. Lack of movement in your muscles will cause all kinds of problems. Now, if I could not get around at all without one, I would use it. But, as long as I can do some walking I will and do. My moms doc has said the same about the scooters for elderly people. Most seniors do not get much exercise except for shopping. If they do not walk then, they can lose the use of their muscles and become weaker faster.
  • used one at disneyland. no way i could walk all day so we rented one and it was great. also got to be first in line for all rides i could go on. unfortunately, the caveat was i had to be able to go on the rides. if i could not then we could not be first in line. so i cheated. i acted like going on then i left. oh i feel so guilty. those little chairs are great. i don't know who much they cost
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • used one at disneyland. no way i could walk all day so we rented one and it was great. also got to be first in line for all rides i could go on. unfortunately, the caveat was i had to be able to go on the rides. if i could not then we could not be first in line. so i cheated. i acted like going on then i left. oh i feel so guilty. those little chairs are great. i don't know who much they cost
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I've thought of getting one for myself, not to use all of the time, but for when I really need it. It would make a huge difference in my and my husbands life. As it is, we can't do anything where I would have to walk for any length of time. I too try to walk when I shop as much as possible but sometimes I just can't do it. Just the idea of being able to spend the day actually doing something fun, getting out of the house, going somewhere, sounds sooooooo good! At my age, which is fairly young, I find it embarrassing to have to rely on things like this but when that pain hits like crazy, I don't care what people think. I just want the pain to stop! I'm going to look into getting one, it will help my quality of life. As to the grandfather who wasn't allowed one? I feel that was awful of his doctor! What if he fell? That would do much more damage than losing some muscle. As it is he's losing it anyway by staying in his room all day and his quality of life has been taken away also. Maybe another doctor would give him a prescription for one? I would at least try, for his sake. Best of luck to you!
  • I was just wondering what kind of condition is a scooter needed for and if it was useful for us with our problems. It is a good point not to solely rely on it because of a risk of muscle atrophy. It would be handy to have around if you for example like to go for walks in the park and you aren't able to get around. I like to use scooter at stores so that I can be in there longer than if I had to walk. Lately I have been homebound because of the pain and I don't feel up to going out much.
  • Ask your doctor. See what he says. Tell him just like you put it in your post.

Good luck and keep us "post-ed".

(goodness that was the second awful pun I've made today... don't know what's gotten into me. must be the christmas shopping getting to me. so so very sorry!)

Jeaux
  • =)) Well then, how about this one? The fact that we are in so much pain and can't do anything is a real pain in the back! :D
  • Oh, Top Fuel Fan, that was a real groaner!
    You are a pain in the neck!
    :))(

(Sorry if I have insulted or upset anyone by that remark. It was only made in fun - not at your expense, but just because if I don't find something to make me laugh, I'll cry! It's true - some psychologist guy said I'm depressed, so...)

Have a great day my cyber pals!

Jeaux
  • that was 2/3rds of a pun-p.u.
    not very punny was it but a duck that flies upside down will quack up and if my nose goes on strike i will pick it

oh my
    jon
  • Don't you just love to hate puns? I think they are hilarious.

I saw a bumper sticker that said:

"Pray for Swirled Peas"
  • as my grandmother said knock knock
    who's there?
    mushroom
    mushroom who?
    there's not mushroom between your ears
    merry christmas to all pain patients
    jon
  • That was cheese-tastic. How 'bout this one: I'm going to give an ESI another shot. 8}
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.