Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flare up after grocery shopping, do I ice or heat??

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
What am I supposed to do?? :W Go without groceries. I went to the grocery store this evening. It took me over an hour because I had to take my 2 kids with me. Between trying to push the cart with my 6 year old on front and yelling at him to get off and constantly having my daughter run into me or step on me because she's walking behind me while reading, I thought I was going to go nuts. I was getting pretty sore so I told them to stop asking for things and let's get this over so I can get home. I had my daughter help me unload the cart and a friend of mine bagged and carried out my groceries (he works there). No problem, I'll get home and hubby will carry groceries in right? Wrong! My daughter did carry most of them but I twisted as I was carrying one of the bags in and felt a pop. I was already in excruciating pain before this so you can imagine my frustration at this point. I am now laying in bed with heat on my back. Kids are in bed, hubbies sleeping, laundry is done, coffee is sent for morning and I am hurting so bad I want to cry. I took 2 vicoprofen and 1 skelaxin and just took my ambien so I am hoping I will pass out soon. I've got the heat on my back but I am wondering if I should use ice? It feels almost like a pulled a muscle in the l5/s1 area above my right butt cheek.

Does anyone have any suggestions whether I should ice or heat or both? It does feel inflamed.
advertisement

Comments

• I personally would use an ice pack for that sort of thing. I hate the cold though. I had to ice down today after a long walk. I hope that you feel better and get some good healing sleep tonight.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Is what always works best for me. 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Heat works better for spasms.
  • Do you find at times that ice actually hurts when you use it? I try not to use ice even though I know it helps with inflamation because it hurts like a deep throbbing pain. But heck, I am going to try it because I am in so much pain right now, I'll try anything. I would consider licking a toad or something of the sorts if there was a chance I would feel some releif from this pain. =))
  • It is my understanding that heat on inflamed muscles just make the muscles more inflamed, causing additional pain :''( :O or pressure to nerves. I know a lot of people don't like to use ice because it's not very comfortable at first but you will appreciate it a few hours later..…BTW, I refuse to take my kids to the store with me, I end up looking like that crazy dude yelling at his kids. Get the ice pack or bag of frozen peas and lay down. Hope you have a restful night sleeping. I)
  • A deep dull ache is what I get when I ice. My hips ache when I ice my back.

Ha- you toad licker! 8}

One Love,

Stephanie
  • that you do the 20 minute on and 20 minute off with the ice. That is important.
  • Do what feels best! On bbrrrr cold days like this heat is more and more my friend; although normally I use heat w/my exercises in the am, but ice after being on my feet or for over-exertion.
  • Hello Ming,
    You pace better, we have all done this the dilemma is continuing to feel that you can do more and get away with it. Every day for us realty is different and we have no blueprint on today’s capability and it is with continued frustration that we attempt to do that same as yesterday. You are to be commend for trying and even with my lengthy service this illusionary threshold still elusive most of the time and working within the limited capacity and time frame that we have, one of the most hardest things to do and accept.

Asking and getting help when you may look ok is difficult and on the basis of known risk, some things I refuse to do, knowing that it may create additional pain than is necessary. You have a busy role with children and a lot of responsibility. That little voice in your head tells you that you should be able to do these things that others may have no problem and managing that area is key to what and how we are mandated to exist.

Good luck, flare-ups are never easy only in the knowledge that eventually it will pass and you will return to normal angst and another tool in your armoury.

Hope you feel better soon, take care

John
  • I like the numbing effect of ice on my aching back and I will use heat occasionally. I normally use heat for muscle spasms in my back and legs. Maybe you can use heat and light a fire in a certain person's a4$ so he will help with the groceries. Outrageous!
    I know I sound mean but it burns me that your husband doesn't lift a finger to help you with your back troubles. He is supposed to be a man and not sit back and watch you and the kids bring in bags in this cold weather. I know he didn't help putting them up either. You are a better person than me, I would have thrown the biggest B fit ever.
    I hope you get to feeling better and please forgive me for being grumpy.
  • Thanks for all your advice. It is frustrating at times trying to hold the family together and deal with my back pain too. I had to go to an appt yesterday and ended up getting stuck at at&t for over and hour and kohl's for over 2 hours. I was so sore by the time I got home since I was still hurting from the day before. I left the house at 9am and got home at 5:30pm and then remember I have to take my daughter to her chorus concert. So I had 30 mins to get changed, catch my breath, hide the xmas presents (that I had to bring in the house myself) before the kids seen them and then go to the school and sit there until almost 8pm. Needless to say, I didn't do any laundry, picking up the house or loading the dishwasher. I did set the coffee for the next day. Now we are on Thurs. I've been really sore all day so I've layed around most of the day. The kids missed the bus so I had to run them to school. I made a frozen lasagna for dinner, swept the kitchen, cleaned cat litter box, on my 3rd load of laundry, helped my daughter with the cleaning both the rabbits' cages, made the bed and will be watching my twin neice and nephew (6 yrs old) tonight because we are getting a snow storm tomorrow and my sister needed someone to watch them tomorrow night so I told her to drop them off tonight so she didn't have to drive with them in all the snow. We are supposed to get 12-14 inches. So as you can imagine, I am still sore. Tomorrow I will hopefully be snowed in so I won't be able to do anything but keep track of 6 yr old twins, my 6 yr old naughty son and my 13 year old daughter. No biggy. It should be an easy day. I am going to go eat now, unload dryer, load washer, fold laundry and then I will probably plop my butt back on the couch and chat with you guys again.

It's no wonder I keep having these flare ups. I don't yell at my husband anymore because it's just not worth the added aggravation of fighting. He did vacuum for me today when he got home and made garlic bread and made the kids' dinner plates.
  • I don't know how you do it all, you're my hero. I hope you catch a break tomorrow; put in the earplugs, and cozy up next to a fire with hot coco and a warm blanket. Take it easy, you deserve it.
  • It's very kind of you and greatly appreciated.
  • Thanks Zach. I appreciate your compliments and advice. I do ask and am frequently told no. I try not to ask of my husband if he worked all day but his work has been slow lately so he's been home more than not but doesn't help out. I've tried to explain that I don't mind doing the house work if he works all day but if he's going to be home then he needs to pitch in too.

I commend those husband such as Zach that do notice how much us wives do and I thought it was just me but the kids do seem to go running to mom first. Why is that? They always run right passed dad, whose doing nothing, to ask me to do something for them while I am on my hands and knees trying to sweep up their mess. I always say, go ask your dad if I'm busy. It's so frustrating.
  • hi there
    the general rule is thus
    if your skin is HOT USE ICE
    if your skin is cold use heat
    {this information from a state registered private physiotherapist} my friend free advice!!
    some advice from me now...have you tried the ACTICARE UNIT??? i have 2 they are a high end TENS unit with extra modes www.acticare.com for more info
    STRAKER
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.