Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI/Hardware???

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can you get an MRI of your back after have instrumentation installed? I've seen a couple of people post that they couldn't get one. Is this right? Then how do they check you later for disc problems, etc.?
advertisement

Comments

• Ive had an mri every year since ive had my first fusion done. Ive had no problems with getting them either. My back is sore from laying on it for the length of the mri but other than that no problems.
  • Thanks for the info! I'm a little confused then about people stating they couldn't get an MRI because of the hardware. Just curious.
  • I had an MRI less than two months post op..being nervous about the "metal thing" I called the doctor. they use titanium--which is totally safe in MRI machines! then I felt dumb asking the question...when he said "do you think i would order an MRI if it wasn't safe? " But he did say better to ask any questions rather than worry!
  • Thanks so much! I was really confused, but couldn't figure out how they would see what else might be going on if they couldn't do an MRI. Thanks, again.
  • Yes, you can definitely have an MRI with titanium hardware in you. Often the radiologist will inject contrast into you, to give a clearer picture - which delays the overall process of having the MRI somewhat.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I had an MRI about 6 weeks ago but the problem is that it is a lot harder for the radiologist or Sr to read as the metal gives off an "artifact" which is like a inteference.

So it can be done but just not so easy to read.

How is your knee know???
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • The knee seems to be getting better...still hurts but not as much. Thanks so much for asking. How are you doing now?
advertisement