Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depressed after bad doctor's visit

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Depression and Coping
I had a bad visit with the nurse at my PM's office.

I have been seeing this PM since the end of January. I never see the doctor unless I'm having a surgery. I have been going every 4 weeks for refills once I found a good med combo. One of my meds is the Fentanyl patch.

I found out a few months ago that the insurance co is considering some of these as early fills because they go by 30 days and sometimes there are 5 week months. I saw the doctor (actually nurse) on these days: 1/31/08, 2/14/08, 3/13/08, 4/10/08, 5/8/08, 6/5/08, 7/2/08, 7/30/08, 8/28/08, 9/29/08, 10/23/08 & 11/20/08 then today (12/17/08).

I told the nurse on 11/20 about the early fill issue that the pharmacy told me about. She told me that all scripts including Fentanyl can now be held for 21 days. She told me to hold it until 12/6 and then I won't have to come in until early Jan. I did have the script filled on 12/3 because the pharmacy I have to use is far away & I didn't want to have it filled on a weekend in case there was problems. I didn't use the new meds until the old ones were used up.

My daughter won't return to school from the holidays until the 2nd week in Jan. I know from experience I'll have childcare issues if I try to go while she's home from school. I have accidentally forgotten my patch before and I'll know I'll have withdrawal if I wait until she returns to school.

I made an appt. for today and would hold the patch until 1/4. Today the nurse's assistant says she's never heard of being allowed to hold a script for 3 weeks & said they'd call in withdrawal meds for me if needed. She also said that the front desk shouldn't have allowed me to make an appt for today. They are refunding the copay. They won't write a script for me until 1/6 which is 31 days.

I'll definately go thru withdrawal. I don't think I can handle withdrawal. I think I'd prefer not to be around anymore than deal w/that.

LuAnn

advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Things can definately get confusing. I am on the patches too. They way things go for me regarding filling my scripts are like this: I always wind up filling my RX around the same day of the month since my appts are scheduled early in the month. I drop off the prescriptions at the pharmacy and tell them to put in on file. Then about 3 weeks later I go pick them up.
    Your insurance company should pay for the new dosage. You can ask the pharmacist to talk to them, or the PM office. I'm having trouble understanding about what happened at your appt. today. Are you totally out of patches? You should have some of the old ones. Is there a reason for being scared of filling the RX on the weekend, has there been problems? What child care issue are you having that you can't go while she's home and that you forget your patch? I'm sorry but I am a bit confused.
  • My doctor is unaware that there are more than 30 days in some of the months. At times he has told me I will have to go without because my prescription will run out earlier than usual, because there was 31 days in the last month.
    This really confuses me, don't "ALL" people know that there are more than 4 weeks, or 31 days in some of the months of the year? I thought that was pretty basic! I don't use Fentynal, it has never worked for me, I use Oxycontin. But I have had through 2 days of withdrawal when I was first on my med's because my surgeon had chaned my dose in her head, not on the bottle and never told me, and refused to give me a new prescription. It was such a horrible experience, I still remember exactly how it felt. And the pain was out of sight!
    OK, I can somewhat understand that my doctor is so obtuse that he is unaware of how many days in a month, but your insurance company? You would think they should know better. What really burns me up is we're (at least I am) only allowed to fill my script on the day that my med's have already ran out, not a minute before and if I wind up in the ER because of this, the ER doc's get mad at ME because they say I should have been responsible enough to get my med's one week before I ran out. I can't win!
    I know how you feel, but just hang in there. There's bound to be a resoloution to this at some point. Go as high up with your insurance company as possible to explain this mess. I wish you the very best and hope you get this cleared up very soon. You're not alone in this crazy world of pain med's and all of that crappy red tape.
    Hang in there Baby!
    Hugs to you,
    Topfuelfan
  • Since the nurse said that they would call in withdrawl meds if needed.It sounds like other issues are involved.

Sometimes people get their scripts filled earlier each month though.Say if the first visit was on the 20th,and next month get a refill on the 17th,next month 14th,then 10th or 11th,ect,so that within a 10 month time you are an entire month early on your refills.Even given the 31 days in a month that is only about a week in a years time.

I'm not sure if that is what has happened,but it's easy to do,and with it coming up on a year now seeing this PM,they do check up on situations like this occurring.
  • i am so sorry you are having to go through this .its just not right!!.its bad enough that you are in pain but to put you through withdrawal is just cruel!!.i am glad i live in the UK and i have a very good understanding doctor getting my pain medication is not a problem ..BUT when i go to the pain management center {should be called the medical cost management center!!}i do have problems .i have been called a junkie and a time waster!! i have had 2 major operations and go through hell on a daily basis {pain wise} with out my medication i would be dead.i would not be able to stand the pain ..and its not untill you are in that state that you can understand just how bad pain is..am i right!?
    i hope that you get sorted soon
    STRAKER
  • I'm sorry you're getting treated that way, it's beyond belief. Thank goodness I'm treated with care and professionalism at my pain clinic and everyone is friendly. I wish everyone had a good experience at their clinics too. I couldn't fathom going into withdrawal for 3 weeks, it's very frightening.
advertisement