Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why won't the pain go away? Maybe too soon back to work?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 8 weeks post-op and am back to work part time (mornings) as of last Monday. Why is this so darned difficult? Yesterday my pain and spasming was so bad I didn't even last an hour before I had to go home and lay in my recliner. I'm a graphic designer and sit at a desk, but I can get up and move whenever I need/want to. This morning, I decided to take a Flexiril before I got to work to try and stave off the spasms and pain, but here I sit with that same pain I had yesterday. WHY?? I can't believe that after 8 weeks I'm back to work too soon, especially part time.

In addition, although my hubby has been absolutely fantastic through everything, he's not understanding my pain now and seems frustrated that I'm not getting back to normal. Frankly, I'm frustrated too, but I'm the one who feels it so I KNOW it's there! X(

Anyone experiencing this? Suggestions? Help? ~X(

advertisement

Comments

• Do you wear your collar at work? And is your desk at a level where you don't bend your neck? I can see that this would be a problem after c-surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I wear my collar at work. My desk is at a level where I don't bend my neck, but you did make me have to take a look at how I sit. I haven't been paying attention, but after reading your post I noticed that I was sitting on the edge of my chair, slumping a bit. LOL Thanks charry, maybe changing the way I sit will help. I hope so, because I'm not sure what to do.
  • I came back to work after 6 weeks. I was scared to death about it. But being back at work instead of laying around was the best thing for me. The more I layed around the stiffer I got. The more I moved the better I felt although there were days that I had to have my husband take me home early and days that I would hold the cube walls to walk. I started PT a few weeks later and that was my life saver.
    It will get better. Your muscles need time to get used to being up and mobile. I think of it as when you first start working out you are sore the first week or two but then your body gets used to it and the soreness goes away.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    normal day to day activities for ACDF patients, but desk work is another matter.
    Desk activity (computers, writing, paperwork,etc) put more strain on the cervical area then many hard labor type of work.
    I did not return to work after my ACDF's until I was ready to come off the hard collar. Then at work, I wore a soft collar but did no more than 4 hours a day for another 8 weeks.
    Bottom line, it was almost 18 weeks before I was able to return to my normal desk computer work.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement