Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

JANUARY Upcoming Surgeries- Post Stories Here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
JANUARY Upcoming Surgeries- Post Stories Here

It looks like this was done the past couple of months, so I thought I'd start a thread for those of us going under the knife in January.

My two-level ALIF is coming up 1/7. I'm getting ready for surgery, trying to get a lot of chores crossed off my list so I don't have to worry about anything post-op, and trying not to stress about it with the holidays coming up.

It would be nice to hear what everyone else is doing for their upcoming surgeries.

Good Luck, everybody!

Paul

advertisement

Comments

• I'm a new member who just posted under the New Member section. I've got a single level PLIF on Jan. 5 which will be done by a neurosurgeon. I had my final visit with him yesterday along with my hospital pre-op, so now it's just playing the waiting game.
  • Helo fellow spiney's. I just joined S-H today, but have been lurking here for a few months. I have learned quite a bit from this site and from all the members who post here. Here is my story. In June of 07 I was diagnosed with grade II Spondylolisthesis at L4-L5 and DDD at L5-S1. I have tried all the less invasive treatments including Chiro, Accupuncture, PT, Epidural Injections, Nerve blocks, Radio Frequency. The nerve block is the only thing that has helped at all. I used to have pain in my right leg from the thigh to my ankle in addition to my right hip and low back, but since the nerve block the leg pain is mostly gone, the hip and back still give me a lot of trouble though. Recently my left leg started going numb while I sleep at night or any time I lay on my back. Currently I take 15mg of Oxycodone every 4 hrs. and 30mg of Oxycontin ER at bed time. I am scheduled to have a 1 or 2 level TLIF on 1/6. The neuro said he will decide when he opens me up if he thinks I shoud do 1 level or 2. I am very nervous but I can't live like this any more and look forward to getting my life back again.
  • Single level anterior lumbar fusion L5-S1: interbody cage, BMP + cadaver bone, front plate and screws on January 20th.

Orthopedic surgeon thinks he can get all the disc matter in the back of the spine that is pressing on my nerve while going thru the front, but there is a risk he cannot. In meeting with him last Monday we discussed, and its actually a greater risk for him to go in posterior as he feels it could expedite degeneration in the levels above by doing so (I am told I do not have the spine of a 38 year old, and it was not a compliment).

This is my second surgery with this doc, I respect him and he is honest and upfront. I am optimistic that I will have a positive outcome. I am otherwise very healthy, and have recently lost the 16lbs I put on when I re-herniated, and I've been doing my pilates core-strengthening. I'm ready! :)))
    -Melissa
  • I'm getting nervous about the upcoming surgery. I worry whether there will be complications during the surgery itself, what the recovry will be like, and whether I'll feel "cured" when the fusion is complete. There are just so many unknowns. I've never had surgery before or gone under general anesthesia, so I'm just anxious about the unknown, I guess. I don't think there's any more research I can do on the procedure or any questions I haven't asked. So, I'm just trying to distract myself at this point and not dwell on it too much.
  • I am having a L4/L5 PLIF on January 2nd. I am new here and getting very nervous. I have 2 1/2 days to get my home straightened up and in order and 2 days to get my work ready to hand off to my co-workers. It is coming too fast and at the same time not fast enough as the winter is not playing nicely with my back.

I hope everyone going in for surgery soon has a speedy recovery.
  • Hi all,
    I joined the forum about a month ago when I finally decided to see a NS for the constant pain in my neck (rear ended and pushed into another vehicle at a intersection in Sept of 2006) He informed me of the DDD and some bulging/herniations in my neck. Not sure the exact location until I go for the discogram sometime next week. Anyway Im a 35 year old mom of 3 and have had enough of living in pain. Did the chiro/pt/epidural route with NO help whatsoever. My surgery is sched for January 30th. All you guys are great and a much needed place to find great input and support! Ill keep you all posted.
    God Bless
    Lisa
  • I forgot to wish you all good luck and a speedy recovery!
  • a week from tomorrow for me...starting to get a little "butterfly effect" going
  • You can add me to the nervous group too... I am trying not to think about it too much. Lately my nerve pain seems unaffected by my meds, so I feel like surgery can't some soon enough; it takes so much of my energy to deal with the pain and do everything I need to do each day (esp. at work).

Endymion - definitely hear you on the fear of the unknown. I'm trying to distract myself too and yet I have the attention span of a gopher. ;)) You're close now, only 10 days away!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!
    -Melissa
  • January 8th is my date, too. I had a L4-S1 TLIF in June 07. Still have not fused but BMP caused bone to grow on nerve roots causing return of leg pain postop(was initially leg pain free after surgery.) Have had surgery on one side to remove hardware and bone compressing nerve root(caused by that wonderful stuff BMP.) Now, having other side of hardware removed and bone from another nerve root removed(once again, gotta love that BMP.) Surgeon(NOT the one who did the original fusion surgery) will also explore the area to make sure everything else looks as good as it can get.

I will post an update when I have surgery. Anyone who had BMP used and then had spontaneous return of leg pain several weeks postop that continues even with decreasing activity needs to be aware that BMP can cause bone to grow on your nerve roots. Not just in me, there's been documented studies and the package insert for BMP from the FDA warns of the risk of this possible complication.
  • I am nervous but excited to be pain free
  • Hello everyone! I am having a fusion at c 3-4 on Jan.9th. This will be my 7th surgery in 10 years. I've had 3 lumbar discectomies,and 2 cervical fusions,and finally a 2 level lumbar fusion in March. As soon as I reached my 6 mo. recovery date,the disc above my cervical fusions "blew" and is deforming my spinal cord.I've had 10 herniations in 10 years!:( I've been told I'll need 2 more surgeries in the future.My lumbar fusion was a success though! And I am walking without assistance I am so thankful!:) Right now I need to count my blessings. I wish you all the best of luck and a speedy recovery without complications.
    Keep Hope,
    Faith M
  • Best of luck to you too Faith! May I ask, is it genetics, or do was there anything in particular that set this in motion for you? Hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel :)))
    -Melissa
  • Hi Melissa, and the best of luck to you too! After 10 years of frustration I have been told my back issues are genetic. There is nothing I can do and it's not my fault. I finally have a reason for all of this, and I can stop blaming myself! I also had disc reherniations like you, my L4/5 herniated 4 times, L5-S/1 twice. This new herniation in my neck happened when I pushed a 1/2 full grocery cart. My lumbar fusion was a great success, a VERY tough surgery but I haven't needed a cane since.:D These days before surgery are so nerve wraking! If you need to share your worries, I'm an old pro. Type me any time. Good luck on the 20th!
    Keep Hope,
    Faith M
  • My mom feels this incredible guilt, until I remind her that her mother went through all of this too - not much you can do except lots of pilates and find a good doctor ;))
    I'm really happy to hear your surgery was a success, there are a bunch of success stories here and they give me hope.
    -Melissa
  • Thank you Melissa and Zach for your replies. I look back and remember my Grandfather and he was so hunched over, I'm sure he had disc issues. My parents have both have some issues too, but I got the whole ball of wax. Genetics! Zach, thank you for your prayers, I appreciate it. I think you'll have great relief once the bone growth is off of your nerves. Your legs must hurt so bad! I hope you at least had some relief from your fusion! It's so dissappointing when a surgery fails. After my 3rd lumbar surgery I had no relief, it was a failure. The fusion saved me as I wasn't going to be able to walk much longer.I hope you also have great success with your fusion Melissa! We just have to keep trying, never give up! Good luck on the 8th Zach, I"ll be praying for you too.
    Keep Hope,
    Faith M
  • PUT ME ON THE LIST FOR JANUARY!

I am so excited to make the decision. I am having the Axial LIF for my L5 S1 Spondy, pars fractures and some disc issues. Making the decision after all the epidurals and pt is a relief.Making the decision to have the surgery is moving forward.

To all you January people, I will be looking for updates! My thoughts and prayers for a positive surgery and speedy recovery!!

Blessings! >:D< >:D<
  • I've got my L4-L5 fusion tomorrow morning at 8:40...holy cow
    ...I'll keep everybody updated
  • Good luck. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. I am going in for my fusion on L4-S1 on Tuesday.
  • My surgery (fusion L4-L5; PLIF) is on the 13th and I'm starting to second guess myself. I'm in a lot of pain now and bedridden for the most part, but I don't want to worry about having to do this again like so many of you have had to do. Logically, I understand that this is my only option and that fusion will stop the progress of the degeneration, but the common factor I see all over these boards is that pain continues to be the rule, not the exception. I'm still so young...just turned 40 and I have 4 kids....2 of whom are still little and need me to go with them to the zoo, and hiking, and hunting and fishing, and shopping, and exploring, and all the fun stuff a mom is supposed to do with her kids. Please, somebody tell me I will be able to do these things with my kids and family. -Maggie
  • I am sorry about your pain. I agree about your fear. This site has been so helpful for me. But, the docs told me I needed a fusion 6 months ago. When I found the site the fusion and pain stories scared me so much that I would not do it. Well, I am where you are, 6 months later. More pain and no other choice. Now I think...where would I be if I had my fusion 6 months ago? I would be 6 months better, 6months on with my life. I did meet a person on the site, Cali-sue who had a fusion and was recovering. I was so afraid for her pain and that I never wanted to do it. Now she is doing so much better and back to work moving on with life. That is where I want to be. I have a 2 1/2 year old little guy! I know that by the time he is 3 I will be able to go to the park with him...but during my recovery he will get to hear more book then he thought any parent could read!

Sorry...long winded. Just to tell you. I feel your fear!

Blessings! >:D<
  • I understand you concerns and worries about a fusion. Many people don't come back on this site once they are well so we don't get to hear all the success stories. I had a successful fusion in March and it was the BEST thing I could've ever done. I haven't needed my cane since, and I am walking quite normal. I do still have numbness in my toes that comes and goes many times daily. But I have nerve damage that happened during the 10 years prior to my fusion. It is a very difficult surgery, I will not lie. But it gives you the chance to get your life back! I would do it all over again if I had to. My pain level went from a 9-10 to a 2-3, but this takes time and you'll need patience. I excersize faithfully and started back up as soon as my surgeon gave me the green light. Walking is most important, it'll hurt badly and you won't want to do it. But it will make you heal better and faster. Find someone to help you keep your sheets and shower clean etc. to help avoid infection. Try to go into it with a positive attitude that this WILL work! I got my life back and I pray that you will too. Good luck to you all, God bless.
    Keep Hope,
    Faith M
  • After posting "scared" I have to say I felt better just saying it. My emotions are all over the place right now. Flippin 'n Floppin!! When I start thinking too much about it I have to remind myself that staying in bed all day isn't much of a life. It SUCKS!!! I'm ready to live! I've said for a long time now that my 40's are going to be the best years of my life and I meant it. Funny that I'm having surgery less than a month after my 40th. Thanks for the reassurances.

Maggie
  • Good luck on the 13th Maggie! I'm a bit scared too, I'm having my 3rd cervical fusion on Jan. 8th. But I'm more afraid to stay the this way than I am afraid of surgery. My quality of life stinks. I'm very frustrated and disappointed, right at the end of my 6 month recovery from a 2 level lumbar fusion, my neck blew. All I did was push a 1/2 full grocery cart!~X( I was just getting my life back and BAM down again. I'm excited to get my life back on track and hope to have a few good years after surgery. (I've been told I have 2 more in my future) Let us know how you're doing after surgery.
    Keep Hope,
    Faith M
  • Wow....now that SUCKS!!! Seriously, though, was the neck a direct result of the first fusion? I know that the rest of the spine can become more succeptible after fusion. You're in my prayers. Let me know when you feel up to it how you're doing.

Maggie
  • I am thinking of you and hope for you the best outcome as possible
  • I too am 35 but I have 3 kids 16,14,and 5. I will be having ADR sugery done on the 20th two short weeks away and I am really scared but I think everything will turn out better in the long run.
  • Will be my life changing day. My ADR will be done and I hope it all goes well I am ready to live without pain everyday and night. i am not scared of the surgery i am just scared of the post op recovery period. I will only be in the hospital for 2 if all goes to plan. Then the 4 hour ride home. Yuck.
  • Just wanted to let you know I will say a prayer for you( iam not real religious but I do think praying helps) and I hope all goes well.
advertisement