Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm home!!!

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Got home yesterday around 6pm and so far the pain is bearable. To make a long story short the surgery went fine and I can't really remember the first 24 hours after the surgery, but the second and 3rd days were pretty bad. Couldn't find the right mix of meds to control it so while they were try, I was in a lot of pain and sick to my stomach. Now that its controlled the thing I have to try to fix now is bowel movements. I wen't fine up until almost 2 days before I went home, but haven't gone since. I'm in the process of trying to relieve it (stool softener, Milk of Magnesia, and lots of bran stuff this morning) but no luck. I have suppositories as a last resort and I'm going to try to hold off on Prunes (man I hate them) for as long as I can.

Thanks for everyones well wishes in my other posts and I hope everyone who had surgery around my time is doing great!

Oh, one more important thing, I can't feel much if any of my pre-surgery pain! God what a relief! :)))
advertisement

Comments

• I'm glad you got through it, Sparky. Isn't it just the best feeling when you're home and you know that at least the surgery part is over? When I was in the hospital, I woke up every 30 min. or so and my first thought was, "Oh geez, I'm gonna have surgery..." Then I remembered it was over. @)

As far as the constipation, Colace is fantastic. It's expensive, but boy does it work.

Again, welcome home. There's a long row to hoe ahead, but it's just one step at a time. :D

Cath
  • I'm glad you're home safe. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am glad to know that you came through with no complications this time. I hate that you had to be in so much pain, it was the same for me. I promise you it will get better! I am walking up to 4 miles a day already. I can't even believe it myself. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Happy Holidays!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Sparky..i am glad you are safe and sound at home! I guess all went well with the tube in your throat; that is good!
    I am also glad they found the right mix of meds for you..that can be very frustrating. So now just take care of yourself!
    Donna
  • And yes, try peri-colace, works like a charm!
    ;))
  • Welcome Home Sparky! Wow, isn't it great to be on the other side of surgery? What a relief! So glad to hear your pre-surgery pain is gone. Now time will take the surgery pain away as well.

Now for the constipation. I used colace (generic docusate sodium) twice a day, plus miralax in juice at bedtime. I also ate raisin bran and drank plum-smart juice (works like prune juice, but tastes yummy). The suppositories are a quicker fix and worth it sometimes. The peri-colace is docusate with senna (generic is cheap).

Good luck with your recovery. Keep us posted. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Sparky, I am glad that you are on the other side now. I also had probelms with my pain the few first days, so I can sympathize with you. I am also gald that you sound like you are doing better at home and the presurgical pain is gone. I can't tell that mine is yet but I know it is still early.

I think you will find that every day gets a little better although some days are better than others. I start PT next Tuesday, and I can't wait to get moving next Tuesday. :D
  • So glad you are home. The worst is behind you! As far as prunes are concerned - I, too, hate prunes. Have hated them my entire life. But there is a new product on the market called Ones. They are in a tall, cylindrical plastic tube, are made by Sunsweet and are individually wrapped. They actually taste good - more like raisins. I've become quite fond of them really - (better than the alternative). Along with Dulcolax (softener) I seem to have "things" under control. Kathy
  • Citrate of Magnesia (sp) WILL open you up, but it's not gentle at all! It could also cause cramping.

Thought it's not a great option at this point, when you start to cut back on pain medications, you will be able to have a bowel movement a little easier.

I would guess a TLIF shouldn't cause you to stay constipated too terribly long. With the ALIF, my digestive system was REALLY pissed at me after surgery. It took several months before things were back to normal.

I used a lot of metamucil and colase. I did have to resort to suppositories. They weren't that bad on the system, but it was awkward getting them "into place".

I wish you the best!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I am pleased to hear that you are home and that everything went well for you.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • 16 days Post Op and I'm feeling great!!!!! All of my pre surgery pain is gone and most of my surgery pain is gone and I haven't even had my first Post Op doctors appointment yet! I'm off of the Vicodin and Flexeril during the day, but I'm still having a little soreness by the time I go to bed so I'm still taking one Flexeril at bedtime. I've been able to do all my exercises and I've been walking as much as I can. I personally think walking really helps a lot so I would definitely recommend it to everyone. As for going back to work I think my doctor will still keep me off of work for 6 to 8 weeks (even though I'm doing so good), mainly because of the kind of work I do (heavy manual labor).

Hope everyone else is doing well!
advertisement