Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Original Operation Report

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 2 level fusion at L4,L5 S1 and just requested my complete medical report from my previous surgeon, who performed the procedure. I was really surprised on the amount of pages for a whole year of visits, plus the op report. It is only 32 pages and most the pages are only 2-3 lines long. My op report was only 1 1/4 pages long. Have anyone found their charts to be similar, less, or alot more info? And answers are appreciated. I was hoping to read some good info from them, instead they were very vague.
advertisement

Comments

• It was only three pages long but the doctor dictated quite a bit from the maginifcation he used, the number of sponges used and recovered, the type of morphine wash and antibiotic washes...I thought it was quite thorough. I gave it to my second surgeon and will see what his entails as a comparison.

I did not get a full years worth of all my visits since most was spent treating me as a patient with a pulled muscle or a brachial plexus issue. To tell you the truth-I was the one who insisted something was wrong with my spine-my PCP and neurologist did not even though I told them. I was scheduled for a shoulder operation but was still holding out and said I won;t do it unless you do a definetive test to rule out neck issues-that is when the CT meylogram was done. It was very painful for me-but I was right. It was my back! I trust my instincts now.
  • I only requested my operative report - I didn't think the rest of my record from the surgeon would be worthwhile. The operative report was 3 pages and very interesting. However, by the time I am a year out, I may request more information from the surgeon to see what he actually wrote up about my recovery progress.

I did have the surgeon give me copies of my x-rays (on CD) - they gave me before and after pictures. :)))

From the hospital, I got my MRI on CD, including the technician's initial written report. This was fascinating. It revealed other issues that I was able to discuss with my surgeon. They are no concern, just normal signs of wear and tear from aging.

Because my insurance EOBs provided very little detail, I got itemized statements from the hospital and surgeon to see what each individual charged item really was. The initial hospital statement was a summary, and because I met my deductible from that, I never got a statement from my surgeon until I asked. This was also fascinating to see what they charge for each little thing that goes into your surgery and hospital care.
  • Is there a specific reason for getting this info from doctors and hospitals? Just curious.

And did it cost money to get the reports?
  • Cathy,

I asked for the operative report because it provides details about exactly what was done during the surgery.

Your doctor may verbally tell you something like "Everything went well - we removed the disc, placed the cage and bolts and finished up. The procedure took 1.5 hours and you had minimal blood loss." By getting the report, you can find out the specifics of exactly what was done. This would include making the incision, performing a laminectomy, decompression, etc. Fair warning ... they use medical terminology and you may have to look up the definition of some words.

I first asked for surgical reports several years ago when I had surgeries done on my thumb and shoulder. I am a private pilot (expensive hobby) and needed to send them to the FAA. I found the detail to be fascinating, so there was no question I would ask for it from this more extensive surgery.

Another reason to get copies of reports is to maintain a health file on yourself. You never know when it will come in handy.

It should not cost you any money to get these reports.

I asked for detailed financial statements out of personal curiosity - exactly why did the surgeon have 5 separate charges on the day of surgery - what was each item for and what was the cost?
  • Thanks for explaining that Mark. I think I will ask for them too. It would be fascinating to know exactly what was done.

My boyfriend was reading information on how they do disc replacement and fusion surgeries, and made a comment about how after reading about it, it made him yearn to be able to do something that fascinating. Uh, ok, just not on me. :T =))
  • I have gotten a copy of my OR report, and have also requested a copy of my xrays on CD. My OR report was not even 2 full pages typed. I did find out the the doctor used cadaver bone, even though we discussed simply using autograft. I was surprised at this. It cost me no money to obtain.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Thanks for the comments. Also, is the surgeons copy of the OR, the only one? In other words, I also requested all records from the hospital, would there be any other accounts of what exactly happened during the procedure included with these forms, or is the one from the surgeon the only one?

BTW - the cost for the records from the doctor, was $15. The reports from the hospital were quoted at .25 cents per page. There could be a couple hundred pages.
advertisement