Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Concern about withdrawals

L-DoggLL-Dogg Posts: 101
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
Hi, I have been taking 10/325 Percocet's for a year and 8 months due to my spine fusion surgery, my hardware removal surgery 3 months ago and it also has been helping all the nerve pain.

A month ago my surgeon put me on Neurontin for the nerve pain. I take both Percocet and Neurontin at the moment. I think the Neurontin helps a little with the nerve pain, not all that much...the Percocet is better. The two together keep things manageable.

Today I called to get him to send a prescription over to the pharmacy for the Percocet and I get informed he is changing me to Norco 7.5's.

I know that at some point I need to get off the pain pills.....not right now before the holidays though. My plan was to start tapering off on the Percocets and eventually breaking them all in 1/2 and down to zero a day.

Trust me, I do not abuse these....I take 3-4 a day at regular intervals...my first at 5:30 am before work, one at noon and one around 6. If I am feeling sore I take one at bedtime...around 11pm.

MY actual question is.............. if I suddenly go from 10/325 Pecocets/Oxycodone/Endocet............... to Norco 7.5's...........will I experience any significant withdrawal symptoms?

Anyone else go through this?

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I don't think you have to worry because from my understanding Norco is still a narcotic pain med. I think it has vicoden in it. He is only decreasing the amount of narcotic in the med not cutting you off all together. I think you would only have withdrawals if you were cut off cold turkey without any pain med. I am not 100% certain but you could google norco or search on the spine health site and I'm sure you will find information on this.
  • so I would say give it a try. If it doesn't work-tell the doctor amd he should be willing to work with you if you tell him you have a plan and want to off the stronger drugs as much as he does.

I went on Ultram and some other stuff that do not work as well for pinched nerve pain, but I had to take them when I went to Japan because Japan won't let you bring in any narcotics. period! I survived and wasn't in any more pain after 3-4 days then I was before starting them. Maybe my mind adjusted.

I'm sorry it's going to happen during a holiday time when you don't need any added stress, but stress like that is self induced. I told my family-Christmas may be coming in July this year :)

Good luck!
  • I may be a little late, but here's what happened to me. I was taking a pretty significant amount of Oxycontin and 3 Percocet 10/325 daily. I like you, knew my long term prognosis wasn't going to be that beneficial. I went from all this oxycodone to NORCO 10/325 x 4 , not 7.5. I had zero withdrawal problems. I was also taking Diazapam 10mg. x 2. This was simply MY experience and how it worked for ME. Maybe ask about a 10/325 opposed to a 7.5/500 or whatever the milligrams of acetaminophen. Something you may want to discuss with your Dr. if you encounter problems?
  • You won't go through withdrawals on Norco's. They are still pretty strong meds and they are Hydrocodone/Vicodin...just a different strength of Vicodin
  • When an addict hooked on booze and drugs provides individual opinion and story to make a quick 100$. What's the * before safe all about? Top Ten Reasons to Stop Abusing Pain Killers.

1 thru 10. Never take them unless prescribed by a medical professional under supervision or to get a psychological high.

You apparently couldn't play by the rules. Now to make money off of your pitiful fall from grace? God help guide you. I appreciated the help I received from this site. Inoperable brain tumor.
  • What's offensive about what I'm doing? Oh you mean providing people with an alternative to in-patient rehabs or detox centers that only give you Xanax and Advil and then send you a bill for 30k? Or is the offensive part the genesis of the website which (you're allowed to post a website in your signature) happens to tell my story so that people know that there are other people in the same situation? Or is the offensive part about actually selling something that might help people?

"You apparently couldn't play by the rules. Now to make money off of your pitiful fall from grace?"

Now that's offensive my friend. Do you know how many people on this website that are probably hooked on pain killers? I don't get your venom at all. I guess you're insunuating that people who get addicted to these pills and then get clean are pitiful? You know what's pitiful, people who whine all day on a message board about their pain and don't do anything about it...that's pitiful.

The asterisk before the "safe" is for people who are pregnant by the way.

• I appreciate all the help. As it was my doctors office did not reply to the pharmacy's message at 11:30am on Friday and when I went in at 6:45pm to pick up my meds they were not ready........I was a little annoyed.

I ended up calling to leave a message about it the next day...this was forwarded to my surgeons personal cell on a Saturday @) ...LOL.....when he called I could sense he was NOT pleased to be dealing with it. I told him not to worry as I found some Vicodin ES from a previous dental visit.....I said I would use those to get through the weekend....they seem to be helping....not all the way but at least some. Someone at that office is gonna get his/her ass chewed.....LOL!!!

As far as the comments..... let's please not use my post to get on each others case. I took no offense to the site other than I wondered how the mods would feel about the advertising. And as much as I appreciated your help Hurtzallot, I did feel that you kinda slammed gcat333. So lets call it a day on that or take it to the PM's..thanks.

We all have to get through our shite one way or another and I do agree that there are probably a lot of people here who have some level of dependance......and probably do not know it yet.
advertisement