Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello-I'm a new member to the forum

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everybody! I've been reading posts for a few months and decided to finally officially join in order to have the pleasure of suffering along with y'all. I'm a 51 year old male who has had chronic pain due to lower back issues for almost nine years. I've jumped through the usual hoops of PT, acupuncture, epidurals, nerve blocks/freezes, chiro, etc for not much else than just a progression of my problems. A disk bulge would eventually turn into a herniation...eventually on to DDD and a present day L4-L5 collapse. I also have had from about six months ago a progression of nerve related issues in my right leg, but not severe enough for another RX. I had an IDET in 2005 for an annular tear of the L5-S1, and that seemed to have been successful in repairing that tear. Years ago, I started with a couple of hydrocodones a day to oxycodone to the Fentanyl patch for a few years to Oxycontin to my present day 30mg of morphine sulphate ER 3 times/day with 2-10mg Percocets/day for breakthrough pain. I just had my pre-op visit at the hospital yesterday along with my final meeting with my neurosurgeon to prepare for my Jan 5, 2009 fusion at the L4-L5 level. The neurosurgeon wants to take care of it before my nerve problems become permanent. So, I'll take it from there and hope for the best...what will be will be and hoping for the best. I'm lucky to have my wonderful wife (who unfortunately has her own cervical issues) working from home, so I'll at least be able to rely on her generous helping hand through my recovery. I look forward to enjoying everyone's company, encouragement and advice while hopefully being able to offer my support.
advertisement

Comments

• Pull up a chair and make yourself right at home. I think you can probably tell by now this is a very kind and caring group of people who are always very helpful.
  • Welcome to spine-health >:D< I am glad that you have officially joined. I am sorry to hear about your back. My history is in my signature. Everyone here is great and supportive. You've come to the right place. :D
  • I started a "blog" about my cervial anterior foraminotomy and you may want to do the same so others looking for personal experiences with your type of operation can see what to expect. It helps to share the pain and joys.

Good luck-and take it from me-an unreformed overachiever, take it easy-don't over do it for a few months! It's so easy to ruin a good operation by taking on too much, too soon.
  • What's IDET again? Sorry that you're wife has spine problems also. I hope all goes well with your surgery. Take care. CHarry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck with your future pain treatments. Jenny :)
  • charry said:
    What's IDET again? Sorry that you're wife has spine problems also. I hope all goes well with your surgery. Take care. CHarry
    charry...I'd have to go online to look up what the "initials" stand for...but to try to seal a tear in the disk, the surgeon puts a catheter up into the the disk and runs some type of coil which circles around the inside of the disk wall. He then heats the coil up to around a couple of hundred degrees (I'm going on memory here)for a few minutes and then removes it. The inside of the disk is made up of collagen, and by heating it up, over time the collagen will somehow change its' composition and the tear will seal itself over. All of the recovery is a gradual process that occurs afterwards over months. So, you're wearing a brace for a month and no BLT. That's the common man's version and I'm sticking to it. For me, it seemed to have been successful as I no longer have had a problem at the L5-S1 level. Now my problems have moved up a level to the L4-L5 level. I don't think that the success rate for IDETS is high...maybe in the 50% to 60% range, so maybe I was fortunate. But as you know, we will sometimes try about anything to help. It was outpatient and done while I was completely asleep by an orthopedic surgeon...hope that helps
  • Yeah, you certainly fit in. :) Make yourself at home b/c we understand the pain you go through and want to help.
    I had a microdiscectomy last year for L4-S1 herniations that gave me back pain and sciatica; it didn't work - pain never ceased. I've been through it all and recently I'm around 7 months post op from a 2 level TLIF/laminectomy with instrumentation. Again, I get no relief and suffer with chronic, intractable pain. I'm on Fentanyl 75 mcg patches, Norco 10/325, cymbalta, muscle relaxers, and motrin.
    Well, that's my soap opera for now. You'll find there is a goldmine of advice and experiences here. Keep us posted about your upcoming surgery and let us know how you are. Take care :H
  • and good luck with your upcoming surgery. I had an annular tare repaired (actually removed) last year. I had a radical endoscopic microdiscectomy along with laser surgery. It did fix the issues from the tare but worsened my facet joint pain. I am hoping that I can hold out long enough for an alternative to fusion to come along. I am glad that you decided to join and look forward to seeing you around the forum.
  • New member here as well. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 13th. L4-L5 fusion, disc is severely herniated, etc. I hope all goes well for you during and after your surgery. I also hope to hear from you afterwards so I can get an idea of what I'm in for. I'll be thinkin' about ya on the 5th. Good luck!
  • :) SeaHawk3, check out the "Back and Neck Surgery" forum for extra support on your up coming surgery. good luck and keep us posted! Jenny :)
advertisement