I just had a multi level spinal fusion at L4 to S1 just over two weeks ago, the 23 will be my exact three week mark since the surgery. I have a very important decision to make and I need advice desperately. I was told by my surgeon before the surgery that traveling three weeks after surgery would be okay and gave the go ahead to buy the plane tickets to travel, so we did. On the 23rd I am booked for a flight that with a layover will be almost five hours long, with an hour drive from the airport at the destination.
My instinct is that although I still have the all clear from my doctor who I saw on the 17th, is that my body may not be ready to handle the trip. The tickets were bought by family and cost them almost 700 bucks. This is also the most important christmas that has come along in almost a decade and I would bear the burden of breaking hearts and ruining christmas for most of my family if I cant make the trip. I am in the middle of the lesser of two evils as my family does NOT want to even hear me out when I mention my situation as to what I am capable of. I can sit for twenty minutes tops, and stand for thirty...as a sit stand combo I last about an hour.
I am doing well and recovering well here at home, I have dropped to one pain med and muscle relaxer a day, at night to help with over night pain and stiffness. I dont want to jeapordize my recovery. Is there anyone who can help me with this decision as it needs to be made very very soon. My family is not understanding and I dont know if travel is in my best interest three weeks post op. PLEASE HELP. Any advice or experience in travel would be helpful. Thanks so much and happy holidays to you all, I hope I can say the same for myself right now as it is keeping me stressed and awake at nights along with bouts of crying over the decision. Any insight??? thanks
Extreme Holiday Distress, wahini202