Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical radiculopathy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I don't know what to do. Severe burning in right shoulder- pain behind shoulder, upper neck, down arm, in elbow.

Tried PT 3 days this week. Can't sit or stand or use my right arm without significant increase in pain.

Went to ER yesterday. Shot of Morphine, 10 mg. did nothing. took Percocet 5/325 mg. every 2 hours. I must have a high tolerance because it didn't help much. Took Baclofen in between, just made me groggy.

Should I lay completely flat? I'm using heat and a soft cervical collar and reclining all day....

nerve impingement: when does it stop hurting
I need advice, badly

I'm going for nerve studies with a neur. 1/15/09,,,I can't wait that long!

Mo
MRI: Disc: C3-4 diffuse bulge of the disc, some compression of the sac, diffuse bulges at C-4-5, C5-6, C6-7
DDD
advertisement

Comments

• in the throes of my pain from pinched nerve in neck. It was the only thing that finally made the pain go away because it reduced the inflammation. Maybe there is a reason they didn't for you? But you can ask.

How did this get started? The ER should have recommended an MRI if it was accident related.

I had the same pains you did and you are not kidding-it hurts like hell, but the first office I called (only NS in town) didn't seem to care, I guess they knew the pain wouldn't kill me, just make me miserable. It was obvious from their tone of voice that it was not a concern for them. They made an appointment for the doctor to see me one month out! I went to the ER, the pain was so bad I thought I would pass out. He is the one who started me on the prednesone, valium and hydrocodone. I then had to go to my GP for more meds and explained to him the NS could not see me for a month. He supplied me with meds to help me get to that point.

Once I met the NS I was not impressed and got a second and third opinion. Look up my posts on "anterior cervical formaninotomy".

I wish you luck! It helped me to keep my arm above my head and to keep it in a sling if I couldn't do that-as in shopping-since I didn't want to look like a fool :)

I also went to a chiropactor to get muscle relief-kind of like you going to PT. I did not let her do anything with my neck for fear it would damage it more. I just told her-!Leave that area alone! She released the elbow pain by manipulating that-what a relief!! Gave me electrical stim massage for my arm and shoulder pain. She cared about my pain and that made it possible for me to wait for the doctors' schedules to open up to see me. I am grateful to her, BUT BEWARE-I am not recommending you go to one. Just telling you what I did.

I wish you luck-the pain will usually go away once nerve inflammation goes down unless you have a chronic issue. People with whiplash for example will have this type of pain but it will usually abate in a few weeks to few months. No reason for surgery unless there are defects in the disk or bone and an MRI is usually what shows that.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • See your Family Dr. You need a pain Management Dr. for proper pain medication and maybe Nerontoin or Lyrica or Amitriptyline for nerve pain. I'm not sure if the ER Dr. ordered percocet every 2 hours but do not exceed 4 grams in 24 hour period. Take care and don't overdo it. Does it help if your arm is elevated on pillow or in a sling? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Maureen :H I have a similiar problem, where my hand to thumb was throbbing so bad- that I couldn't use it, and when I would drive every bump in the road , would make me scream. I thought my hand was falling off. I went to a drop in. He placed me on 300mg of Lyrica, it took another 5 days to kick in. I am still on it, and my had just feels like it is sleeping, but much better than before.
  • have you tried ice to numb the pain? i used to use ice for my pain,i was always told heat but it never helped my pain but when i switched and used ice it seemed to calm down.Also the burning sensation could be the inflammation and i agree that you should probably be on an anti inflammatory.i was on mine for only a day and the burning sensation was gone. Good luck with the doctors.
advertisement