Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

have an scs and i'm depressed

cinhooccinhoo Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Depression and Coping
to begin with i got my scs in october, in many ways i'm
pleased with it, i get 50% coverage.i still need to take my
norco.i woke up this morning in pain and started to cry, i
feel i should be happier, so many people cant get an scs, i should be grateful, which i am, but i cant seem to get a
handle on the pain, i feel hopeless, i eating to much, smoking to much. i went to the doctor to get an CT, i thought maybe there is something new happening, i came back
as they all do, except instead of having 3 bulging disc i
have 4 four bulging disc. a women i work with is having
a fusion this week, i feel jeolous, i wish they could fix
my back, i'm 52 its not going to get better, it will just
get worst. how do i cope with this. i do feel angry with
myself because i do have a scs, i should'nt feel depress,
but i do. :''(
thanks for listening, i need to write it down
cindi :''( :''( :''(
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry you're still having pain with an SCS. Why don't you see your Dr. maybe he can help. This time of year affects many people's emotions. I hope you feel better soon and hear from others here who have a SCS. It's very disheartening to find out you've more disc bulges then before. We're here for you to listen and help you in any way we can. Do take care and do something you enjoy today, even just a little thing can cheer you up. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Have you worked with your company rep or doc (whichever reprograms your SCS) to fine tune your SCS?

I have found that just in the same way that our sensitivity to pain can change and be effected by our emotions, so too can the way the stimulation from the SCS change.

One way I have found to level out the ups and downs of how the stimulation effects me, is to run the SCS at a lower intensity during the times it just doesn't feel comfy. When I get ready for my monthly cycle, the feeling of it changes and I either have to increase it or decrease it depending on how I feel. I have even turned it off for a period of time and it is like giving my body a chance to "reset" how it senses the stimulation. When I do that, it also gives me a good chance to see just how much it helps me. It helps more than just blocking the pain, it allows me to be me again, which is hard to explain.

Charry is right, I think a call to your doc might be the best thing to do. If your body isn't chemically balanced, there's a possibility that the way the stimulation feels, isn't as "good" as it should be or can be. It's just a thought anyway.

The good thing is, you can always turn the SCS off. If you feel that it is failing you, then you don't have to keep it running. I would be willing to bet that if you did that, that you'd find out it does more for you than you feels it does at this moment.

Hang in there,

"C"