Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning pain- anyone had this?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I get a pain near my sacrum/ lower lumbar area that feels like it is a burn. In fact it feels like I am standing way too close to a heater but only in that patch.
To touch the skin there is no extra heat so it is coming from internally.
This can last form 5 minutes to 30 mins and comes and goes in any position or activity- nothing specific brings it on.
sometimes it almost feels like an ice burn.
So really it isn;t painful - just more like an very uncomfortable sensation.

Has anyone else had this? I know it is realate to my fusion site as it is near the lower end of the scar.
Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement

Comments

• I had experienced some burning pain in my thighs, where I used to have the horrible sciatica pain before surgery, Like yours, mine goes away in a short time.So I am telling myself that it is just the nerves regenerating, after being squeezed so long. Maybe that is what happening to you too.

Kin
  • Sara, I used to get that in my SI joints when I started PT and got out of my brace. It is different now, more like a tightness feeling. Ice is good for it. >:D< Sue
  • I get that all the time, infact right after I woke up from surgery, that was the first thing I felt, but mine was very painful. Now it's not as painful or constant, but does come on all of a sudden. I go to my first Doctors appointment on Monday and will ask him what that is, but I do know it's very common

2 level fusion with plate
  • I dont know if this might be the same thing, I am only about three weeks out of my lumbar fusion so everything is a wierd sensation right now. However when I had reconstructive knee surgery I would get that heat like sensation and it wasnt painful so much as just "wierd" and it was always near the area of the scar. The numb patch on my knee was huge after the surgery but as that sensation dulled so did the numbness and now I have a very small area of numbness around that scar and the sensation is long gone. For that surgery it was my nerves kind of "waking up" as my doctor explained. Could be something similar, there were times it even felt like a little shock came with it. Could be way off track but I did experience that sensation you are describing near the incision on my knee and it was nerve related and did go away.
    erica
  • Kin,I am hoping that it may be the fusion "re-activating" after it stopped growing for a while. I live in hope.

Sue, I will give the ice a go, sounds like a good plan.

Kimm, yes if you can ask the Dr what it is I would be really interested to hear what he says. I've only had it since the last appointment in October (6 months post op)and dont see the Dr again till end of Jan.

Erica, it does sound the same as your knee. I also get massive shocks in that area that literally toss me over in bed and really, really hurt. I am taking Lyrica for this which has eased it but not stopped it.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • does it sort of feel like a split second electrical shock, like a strong burn or...Im trying to think of how to explain it. Does it feel like someone poked you with a hot needle really suddenly and it only lasts for just a very short time split second even. Thats how mine felt when my nerves were coming back around when the numbness started to fade. It was painful but very short lived, in fact I have it a little bit in my foot now because the drop foot caused numbness in that foot for a year and it feels just like my knee did when I the numb patches were coming back "alive". If so it sounds to me like it could be nerves receiving a signal again and they take a little time to sort of reconfigure. Just curious if any of that sounds familiar.
  • the electric shock in my back feels more like a knife has stabbed me. When I first got it I would wake up screaming with pain and even if I was sleeping on my side or tummy my body would flip over in a second. Turning over would relieve it a bit then it would ease.
    Now 5 months later it is not so intense just like a quick stab and body flip. Sounds bizzare I know. I have thought of having a sleep study done to work out what is causing it.
    Sara O:)
advertisement