Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meds not taking pain away, is it hopeless, looking for advice, what to do next

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Chronic Pain
I will start off by telling you some history, In 1992, I was injured in the Army, discharged with pre exisiting condition(high arches). I had stress fractures in both femurs near my knees, one was large and if continued,would have definitely broke my leg near my knee in turn would have messed my knee up big time. In 1996 I was in a rear end auto accident, my head was turned looking to the left when hit, while at a stop sign. I went to a chiropractors for 8 months and felt better, enough to help my husband put in a french drain, clean the pool, perform tasks as I did before with preventive measures, of course. In 1999, I broke my pinky toe and limped around for a month, which cause affecting my spine alignment. A few months after the broken toe, i was doing some yoga exercise and slipping L4-L5 disc causing nerve pain down my legs into my feet. I had a epidural nerve block but didnt work. In June 2000, I had microdisectomy of L4-L5 and recovered well with PT, chiropractic and Hydrocodone 5/500 and swimming. I went on to live life normally, other than of few episodes of back pain from over doing it. In Nov 2003, I was in a auto accident,was hit by a truck then a car, totalld my car but walked away,but within a couple hours, i couldnt lift my arms, use my hands, turn my neck, basically felt stiff all over and went to the ER and has time went by, the pain got worse, had nerve blocks that didnt work, i had PT, went to many doctors to get to the root of my issues as a whole and not one issue at at time. I am told I have herniated discs C2-3, C6-7, permanent nerve damage constant nerve pain down both arms.( i have stopped 3 times to take a break from writing this post). In addition, i was diagnosed with bilateral shoulder impingements(is getting worse with time and usage), bilateral worn cartilage in knees, osteoarthritis, ddd in cervical and lumbar spine, severe ddd in L3-S1, hip joint issues, fibromyalgia among other things. I deal with severe nerve pain and muscle spasms and tightness everyday, very ltd to what i can do, i get my meds from my Family Doc, Im on lyrica50 3xday, Oxycodone 7.5/325 3x day, cymbalta , synthroid and i still deal with intense pain every day. My doctor doesnt want to put me on stronger pain meds cause i may do something i should be doing and cause more problems but it is difficult taking a shower, washing my hair, just doing basic daily duties. I am thinking of looking for a pain management doctor who can help me to get back to some normalcy. I also had kidney cancer in march 08. Lost 50lbs which helped some at first but doesnt seem to matter, the problems are not going away, just getting worse. I stretch everyday and every muscle feels tight. I was scheduled to get mulit level disc L4-S1 fusion but was put off cause of the cancer. I am checking into multi level disc replacement but not sure if i should do that either. Can anyone give me some sound advice to help me make an informed decision. Thank you so much for any advice.

~X(
advertisement

Comments

• You have really been through the ringer so to speak. I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. Fusion surgery holds no guarantees of relief and in fact sometimes makes pain worse. It may be worth the risk to you but I wanted to make sure that you were aware that the odds of success are not very high. This is my opinion inly but I wouls try a PM doc before opting for surgery. Once surgery is done, it can not be undone. I wish you much luck and please keep us posted.
  • You need to find a Pain Management doc as soon as you can. I can empathize with many of your problems, so many! Showers are Hell for me also, as is most everyting. I day dream back to the days when a shower was a calming and relaxing experience. Now it's just something I dread but am forced to do. Kinda like some obscene torture treatment. You obviosly need something to help with the nerve pain such as the Cymbalta, but you also need stronger pain med's such as a higher dose of Oxycontin. And something for the breakthrough pain as well. If you haven't done so already, do your own research on Oxycontin and addiction and you will find that for patients in pain, the statistics show that less than .05% of people ever become addicts. You will become dependent, but that is very different, your body needs it, not your mind. There is no shame in taking opiates for chronic pain. I bring that up because some people have tried to make me feel that way, they are just un-educated. I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you get some releif soon.
This discussion has been closed.