Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Emotions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all! I have another silly question. What is the deal with my emotions? I have been crying for hours, I can't seem to get it together. I think my husband and kids think I am a nut case.

I am two weeks post-up with a one level cervical fusion. I am really bad at just laying around and I am a complete neat freak. My family is trying to help but I don't think they get it, and I feel like I am harping and crabby if I ask them to clean up after themselves...grrrrrrr..

I also think it is because I can't drive and I have to rely on others for everything.

Could it be the pain meds?? Thanks for your input.
advertisement

Comments

• I would suspect perhaps some depression and pain tampering with your emotions. I haven't had surgery, but I had depression and anxiety a lot as caused by the pain and being anxious over this conditon.
  • I'm almost 6 months post-op and I still have a day here and there where I get very emotional. Mine is because I'm so tired of the pain from muscle spasms (some days better than others) and also because I cannot do some of the things I enjoy like chasing my puppy around the yard. That's still too much for me. When I had surgery years ago (not spine that time) my doc told me pain meds can also add to depression. You have a lot going on all at once...the pain, the stress of surgery, and not being able to do daily activities. Hang in there - it does get better.
  • for me it depends on the medication I'm taking. Narcotics don't make me cry, but things like valium or anaesthesia could make me cry. The first night after the surgery I was crying that I was in so much pain, which is not like me to do that. When I had a baby I didn't cry or take anything for the pain, so I definitely think that certain medications could make you more emotional to the point of crying. What meds are you taking?
  • Give yourself a break. I cry all the time because I can't clean the house like I used to and my husband wants to clean it but he can't do "the job" that I do. I believe that you may be frustrated because you are not doing what you normally do. Yea, the pain meds can affect you a bit but mostly I think it is the change in the structure of your routine. Ever read the book.."who moved my cheese"..well basically, our cheese has been moved and we aren't adapting well because we want everything to be the way it was.

I guess I am speaking like I know how you are feeling and sorry if that is so but I get emotionally wrung out and realize it is because I want to control my life and instead other things are affecting my control (pain, family, work, etc). Please be kind to yourself and let yourself be angry without lashing out if possible. I am not an expert just a control freak. :B
  • Marram You just made me go order that book from Amazon. You peaked my curiosity. I have had my fair share of bouts of depression and frustration through this. Tears whether they are because of the medication or my inability to do things I used to doesn't matter. Just know that it is completely normal to have crying spells. It's almost expected. Oh and having pain doesn't help matters either.
  • I found that I too cried from not being in control of my house, I have three boys that are far from neat. They try but it is usually short lived. I cried also because of the pain i was in and not seeing an end to all of these neck issues.
    I think what you are going through is very normal. Everyday i learned to accept things the way they were. I did not fret about xmas cards,cookies or shopping this year. I hope you are feeling better soon. bethy
  • I think it could be the meds and also the feeling of not being in control because you're used to running the house. I hope this time off for you your children will find out what you go through everyday and learn from that hopefully and they'll become more responsible with their helping Mom clean up. Sometimes it's hard to let go and let others help you and that's okay. I don't know how old your children are but hopefully they help you out and of course it's not going to be like when you do it but they'll learn to do their best. Certain pain meds don't agree with me like percocet but I only take it for BTP but I wish I didn't have to. I'm on MS Contin which usually covers alot of the pain and I feel relaxed and normal on that med. Hope fully you won't have to be on pain meds too much longer and hope the operation is a success. Happy Holidays.And we're here for you if you need anything or just to vent. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hope that you are feeling better? You know,it could be anything..hormones,holidays,pain,pain meds,lack of control,that 'out of control' feeling...lol-anything.

Yesterday I was bawling and didn't know why...and I haven't had surgery in years..and it can't be PMS because I just finished w/that for the month so..who knows.We changed toilet paper maybe??? I've been pretty emotional lately.

My BF was making fun of me in the car-according to him I'm calling everything a little 'miracle' lately..so he was being animated and pretending to be me and put his finger near his nose(pretending to be me again) and said,"Oh looky Michael,a boogie fell out of my nose and I didn't even pick it,I just put my finger NEAR my nose and A boogie fell out...iT's A MIRACLE!!

• Hello all. Thanks for the replies. I am better with each day. My emotions seem to be more in check but I still have my moments where I will cry for no reason.

I think the worst part for me is the fact that I am very anal and everything has to be just so. This is a ridiculous trait that I need to get over...

My kids are 15 and 11 and have been very helpful. My husband is a business owner and he is not home much at all to help.

Physically I am okay, the worst thing are the muscle spasms that seem to get worse instead of better. I guess this is normal.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, God Bless.
  • Does anyone think maybe our symptoms are exacerbated because we are so used to being in control and when we can't be we are tensed up which helped to create the situations we are in right now. That maybe we are in an endless loop of being perfectionists and these pain issues are a result of not letting go and continues to be a problem because we can't relax. I don't know. I just seem to create more problems for myself unless I can actually self-soothe. For example, we are redoing a bathroom and can I sit still and let other people do it? No, I had to scrub and get involved and now have pain again.

Anyway, just some rambling about emotions and control issues.
    Hope everyone has a good New Years and all the best for 2009.
    Mary <:P
  • I am so glad that I found this web site. For better than a month now, all I do is cry or explode. My emotions are totally out of control. Add to that my acts of contrition to all of those I may have harmed in thought, word, or deed (near-death experience does make one grateful and ready to repent); I am a wreck. I am home alone, lonely and driving people away in droves with my emotional outbursts. Tried stopping the meds-no difference, just massive pain. Even the Valium isn't working like it did. Totally frustrated. At 6 weeks, I thought I would be ready to go back to work!
advertisement