Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

STEROIDS PRIOR TO MRI OF CERVICAL SPINE

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
QUESTION:
IF A PT. MAY HAVE HERNIATED DISCS AT C5 AND/OR C6, IS IT COMMON PRACTICE TO FIRST ADMINISTER AN ORAL STEROID REGIMEN AND THEN PERFORM AN MRI?

BACKGROUND: AFTER AN INJURY AT WORK, I WAS GIVEN AN ORAL REGIMEN OF STEROIDS (METHYL PREDNISOLONE 4MG DOSPAK 21'S) TO REDUCE INFLAMMATION... DURING WHICH I RECEIVED AN MRI OF THE CERVICAL SPINE.
QUESTION: IF I HAVE INDEED INCURRED HERNIATION OF THE C5 OR C6 DISC,WOULD THE REDUCED INFLAMMATION PROVIDED BY THE STEROIDS LIKELY RESULT IN POORER VISUALIZATION OF A POSSIBLE C5 OR C6 HERNIATION?
IN OTHER WORDS: WOULD ORAL STEROIDS GIVEN PRIOR TO A CERVICAL NECK MRI CAUSE THE MRI TO (TEMPORARILY)APPEAR NORMAL?
THANKS FOR CONSIDERING MY QUESTIONS, 4XSAM
advertisement

Comments

• I don't think that's why your doctor did that though. My doctor prescribed the same regime before my MRI and my injury was not work related. I think it is to get a true picture of the condition of the disc more than anything else. I don't think they are trying to do anything to undermine the outcome of the MRI.
    Welcome to Spine Health! :)
  • THANK YOU TONYA, I'M GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOUR DOCTOR DID THE SAME... PERHAPS IT IS COMMON PRACTICE, (THOUGH COUNTER-INTUITIVE FROM MY PERSPECTIVE...) FOR NOW, I'M IN A LOT OF PAIN AND AWAITING RESULTS OF THE MRI. THANKS AGAIN, 4XSAM
  • The steriods was given to reduced inflammation around the nerve so I wouldn't have the horrible PAIN. The MRI shows bone spurs and herniated disks, not the inflammed nerves so the MRI should not be skewed.

The problem with MRI's is they do not always show the extent and severity of a problem. A person and hopefully a good neoursurgeon or orthosurgeon would not only take the MRI's or radiologist's word on a problem if the patient says he in pain but the MRI doesn't show it to be all that bad. There are other tests, get them until the problem is found.

Good luck!

PS The first radiologist reading my MRI didn't have the right root nerves annotated on the report. It made the NS very disgusted to say the least. I'm sure that is rare, but it just goes to show you second opinions are the only way to go unless you are dealing with a mole removal.
  • Hopefully the steriods will help you with some of the pain if it is caused by swelling. I was confused too when they prescribed steroids but at that moment I was in so much pain I would have swallowed an elephant if they told me it would make me feel better. Keep us updated on how you're doing.
    (Oh I issued a warning to all of my friends and family about my behavior before I started taking the steroids. They actually make me, who is usually very mild mannered person hateful and short tempered and just not a nice person to be around. I don't know how common that is but I hope you do better than me.)
  • THANKS FOR YOUR COUNSEL PAUL, TONYA & TURTLE...
    I WAS IN THE ER EARLY THIS A.M. WITH SEVERE NECK PAIN & H/A;
    I WAS GIVEN A SHOT OF TORADOL AND A SCRIPT FOR ULTRAM...
    THE RESULTS FROM MY MRI SHOULD BE IN THIS AFTERNOON (TUES)...
    4XSAM
  • What other test then MRI or x-ray?
  • My Doc gave me the METHYL PREDNISOLONE after my MRI.

I Wish I never took it because it works so good I thought I was normal again, Then after 1 week all the pain came back and I was in Hell once again.
advertisement