Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LTD work

BlueBBlue Posts: 74
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I would like to speak with anyone who has had experience with LTD and work. My work has a 75 day (sick period)prior to LTD starting. I didn't get the forms from my employer until 60 days and my doctor took another 40 days, so now I am at the 100 day mark. I was interviewed by the insurance company, 2 weeks ago. I know it is Christmas, but how long did others wait for the decision. Should I be calling?? Not a nice feeling, when I'm heading for surgery without knowing if I have a family income. Ell
advertisement

Comments

• I am going through something like this,. they are trying to say that my injury is pre existing because I did not have the insurance for 1 year ,,, I have been going through hell with it.. I am praying for a miracle because I dont have any income coming in either.. its so scaarey... I will keep you in my prayer too.....
  • I had 15 weeks of short term than I had to apply for Government Employment benefits for 15 weeks then LTD started at the 6 month mark. Human resourses will tell you what to do for yours. Mine is probably different as I'm in Canada. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Cyndi and Charry,
    Thank you for your responses and I appreciate your support. It is a waiting game, and the insurance lady did call me back once. I found the experience much more difficult than I would have ever expected. Nothing is private. I have worked over 10 years, its a huge employer. You know, before all this I thought LTD just kicked in, as long as the family doctor supported being off. Now I know I am at the mercy of the insurance lady.
  • Do you have a copy of your policy? These are often hard to come by but I strongly suggest that you get a copy from your employer. It will usually state how long they have to make their decision. I would not hesitate to call and ask the status though. You probably have someone assigned to your claim and they will be able to at least tell you the status of your claim. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I used up my 26 weeks of LTD over a continuous 12 month period. Then there was a almost 4 month waiting period before LTD would kick in. MY HR sent me the whole policy document in email. The STD and LTD Company are the same Company in my case.

I received letters from my Case Manager that they were going to review my history. They had me sign letters I gave my all my doctors giving them permission to share all my medical records with them. Then my LTD was approved. As it turned out my first day I was qualified for LTD was Nov 30th of this year. I received the check in the mail and was all excited until I opened it. It was LTD pay for one day. LOL.

I am waiting for my first full month LTD check to come sometime this week. I had hoped it would come this past week (Christmas week). The only day mail was delivered this past week was Monday. After that it was too hazardous for anyone to drive in our area with 3 feet of snow on the ground. Its finally melting so I am hoping my first one month check comes tomorrow (Monday).

I was approved for 1 full year of LTD (through Nov 2009). However, it was noted in my approval letter that any time during that period the case could be closed based on my medical progress.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • My workplace also has a 4 month waiting period before LTD can be used. And unfortunately STD is voluntary, and I didn't think to sign up for it ~X( .

My surgeon has said that recovery could take anywhere from 3-6 months. But of course there is no way to know how long it will take, until you start the recovery process. So, when do you apply for LTD?

I am just so confused by all of this.

Also, how does FMLA impact LTD, or does it?

The soonest I will have surgery will be April. At that time I will (hopefully) have enough leave time for 2 months of paid leave. There is a program where people can donate time for others in need, and I will apply for that as well. But I have no idea if I would be able to get enough time to stretch through another 2 months (until LTD is available).

If anyone can help me sort out all of these issues, I would be extremely grateful.
  • Make sure you're paying into LTD. Human resources will let you know if you have these benefits. I continue to pay my drug plan and life insurance while off from work about $160 every month. I hope you find out everything before your surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was denied benefits due to pre exhisting evidence... I have applied for SS but Just cant imagine that happening either....
  • My LTD benefits are covered by my employer, I don't have to pay into the plan (it is covered for me). :D

But I guess my question is, when do you apply for LTD? After it becomes clear that you may not be able to return to work before 4 months (in my case it is 4 months)? Or should you apply earlier, just in case you need it?

Hmm, maybe this is the case of getting the policy and finding out what the requirements are. I think I just answered my own question :B . Okay, I guess I will call HR, and see if I can get a copy of the policy. I also need to call them to get more information on FMLA, the donation program for paid time off, and how to work it all out. The last time I called was during the holidays, so I wasn't able to get all my questions answered. :<
  • From my experience, I would advise you to apply to Long Term Disability as soon as you can get your hands literally on the forms. :D My experience was I have a doctor who doesn't like paper, and submitted a huge number of sheets to the insurance company. My instinct was that I didn't think it was necessary that an insurance company know all this personal information...but I think it is best. I am fortunate to have worked healthy as long as I have...so I'm not in a mess of not being paid. That is your worst case scenario...plus I think you would have to pay for meds, pension plan, union etc. A problem I ran into was I did not get the forms from my company soon enough. If you have been off for 2 months, and you think it might go into a long term, if it was me, now that I know better, I would be requesting from my company the forms. I actually got the forms less 3 weeks before the short term was to begin...now I will end up having to pay back, 4 months plus of work...at a 30% loss. Yuck...thousands lost. As long as I am covered for meds, thats the only thing that really worries me. ~X( I guess I have no control
  • >:D< >:D< I am so thankful to my SH family who helped guide me through this very difficult process. I certainly went into it not knowing a thing. I wonder how many employees out there actually know how the process works, and how much information the insurance company actually takes before they will accept you!! Well the good news is in, and they have accepted my claim. Know I can proceed with my medical care without the worry of no pay and no prescription coverage. Less is okay, none would have challenged, but getting oneself fixed trumped it all. I appreciate your guidance and comments, and something good finally happened to me and I wish all the best to others too. Today is a good day, one less worry.
  • I did apply for my LTD at 2 months post op. I had a 90 day waiting period but at least that way they can go ahead and start processing. If you are able to go back to work than you just cancel the claim. No harm done.
  • If I had it to do over gain, I would have applied way earlier. So I actually got it in the end, but left to such a last minute state, so different than I am in my life. It made me worry. I should have had it started back in Sepember and now it is January. Don't trust your employer or the insurance lady to advise you...plus your doctor is the most important in this process. Your union if you have one can give guidlines that helped, which I provided myself and my doctor with.
  • My HR dept actually tried to tell me that I could not apply until after my 90 days were up. I had to fight them tooth and nail. It really pays to know your rights sometimes.
  • I had preexisting DDD. I would get a free consultation with a lawyer. I got my herniated disc from repetative movements of my job and strain although whether it happened at work or not they have to pay LTD. The herniated disc was not preexisting for you was it? Or just the DDD? I'm sorry and hope you get some funds soon. Charry
  • Well, I still don't know if I have been accepted for LTD. I am fortunate to *still* have a limited number of sick days left. I really never thought much about sick days. Thats the truth of a healthy person. They just kinda banked up over the years. I always worked, was never off more than a week, for 10 years. I am very fortunate to work for an employer that allows the accumulation of sick days. However, I have checked with the employer to ensure that my pension, medical, seniority are in tact. As long as I have sick days left they are. What a worry- I will need to check tomorrow to see how many I have left. I have been interviewed, but am waiting on a response. Apparently they have a month. So basically, my doct. took forever to fill the forms, the insurance, can take a month to I guess inquire/check me out and I am left with yet one more stress in life. Man life it tough!! I truly feel for all of you here. I will advise once I know, and I appreciate the support I have here at SH.
advertisement