Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

did you take you pain Rx the morning of surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
for those who had morning surgeries, did you take your "normal" morning pain pill before heading off to the hospital? I really don't feel like hurting like h*** for 4 hours plus after getting up

also, pre-op told me to bring my narcotic Rx in their original bottles to the hospital with me. I'm assuming they'll be keeping me on them throughout my stay in addition to their stuff
advertisement

Comments

• I was told not to take anything that had ibuprofen or something like Alieve. I guess those two can thin your blood.
  • You should ask the surgeon or preadmission at the hospital. I didn't know you were supposed to bring your own meds. I was told to write everything down and they would give me my meds there. I can't remember if I was able to take any of my meds before surgery. I was the first one in though so I didn't have to wait around.
  • I spoke to anaesthesia in the preop visit. I confirmed that it was ok to take my pain meds prior to leaving my house the morning of my surgery. I live about 90 mins from the hospital and had a 5:30 report to the hospital. I actually had the anaesthesiologist put in the orders that thye could give me pain meds in the holding area. There is no reason to be in pain.

Not sure what kind of surgery you are having. They did not have me take any of my own pain meds post surgery. The Pain pump took care of that the first few hospial days. Then they switched me to a pain patch / pills.

Good luck!
  • I took my pain pills that morning since my surgery was an afternoon surgery so I would think it would depend on what time your surgery is scheduled and what meds you are on. I was asked to bring my prescriptions with me to my pre op appointment but they didn't keep them. They just wanted to be sure of dosage without having to depend on me to remember what I was taking and how often. Believe me they will want to give you pain meds post op from their pharmacy. How else will they bill your insurance $10 for a pill that you already have with you and could take for free? :)
  • I was in pre-op and the surgeon asked me if I took a pain pill prior to that point. I told him no, because I didn't think I was supposed to. He told me to take one at that point even right before being sent in to the OR. he said I should have been instructed to take one before arriving. It was 10mg Lortab.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I was told to take my pain meds as usual.I've had many operations and never once asked to bring meds in to the hospital with me-just a list.

Ask your surgeon,they will probably talk to the anesthesiologist.
  • I had a seperate pre-op appt a week before surgery. I was instructed to bring my meds with me at this time. The purpose is just so they can see them and write them down on your chart accurately. I was told I could take a pain pill with one sip of water the morning of surgery. I was told not to take a muscle relaxer or xanax though. Generally the hospital will not use your own meds during your stay. They unit dose everything out of a med dispensing machine. The exception to this is if you are on a med that is unusual that they don't carry, for instance opana. Where I work in this case the patient can bring their prescription in its original bottle and it is sent to our pharmacey where they check it, relable it, and send it back to the unit where it is locked in the narcotic drawer. They can then dispense it as ordered on your post-op order sheet. They never want you dosing yourself on your own. Of course check with your doctor to see if it is okay to take your meds the morning of surgery. >:D< Sue
  • I didn't take my meds the morning of surgery. Well, not my pain meds or muscle relaxers. They gave me PLENTY of that in my IV before surgery, during surgery, and after surgery. I didn't have to bring any meds in at all, just had to tell them what I took and in what dosages. I've never heard of anyone having to bring them in... I would be kind of insulted if my doctor didn't think I was competent enough to read the info correctly and relay it. Lol.
  • I've already had my pre-op hopsital visit. At that time, we went over all of my meds info which she put in my file at that time. It was when I was getting ready to leave the nurse said for me to be sure to bring all of my narcotic Rx, in the original bottles, with me to the hospital on surgery day. So I see no need to bring them in just so they can re-verify what I'm taking. I just said okay instead of asking why. I just assumed that they would continue to dispense my own medicine to me in order to keep me on my regular medicine schedule...since what they will be prescribing me in the hospital may be different than what I am currently taking

I'm going to call them to verify..thanks for all of your replies!
  • It looks like from the responses that each hospital has their own set of procedures. I wasn't even allowed to use my inhaler because it didn't have the rx info on it because that was on the box that I don't carry so they had to give me one in the hospital. All my meds at hospital were covered by insurance so it wasn't bad. I only had to pay $50 copay for the whole thing which is good because after you add everything up it was over $50,000.
  • I was told to take my Norco before my 7 am fusion. The only meds to stop was Naproxen or Motrin and Neurontin. The hospital supplied my meds, which I think is good. I wouldn't want to risk something happening to them.
  • lol-I often reply that way as well..just ok,then I do as I please anyway.It saves time,among other things(usually something including finances-lol).

I took in a list though,and at least a dose of meds (in my purse-just incase).I wouldn't trust my meds around all those people-with myself incapacitated.At this point in my life I'm just not very trusting.I know how sad that sounds,but I would trust you strangers on this forum more than the people at the hospital or even some family members back home in PA when it comes to medication.That's the sad truth.
  • I definately think that every hospital is different. I was told not to take any pain meds (norco) after midnight and my surgery was scheduled for 10am. The only med that they told me to bring to the hospital was my astelin (nasal spray) for allergies because the hospital pharmacy may not have it.

I was given something to relax me through my IV shortly after they put the IV in.

• They put something in my IV shortly before they wheeled me in operating room. I don't remember much other than saying goodbye to my husband and I was out before I got in the OR. I remember it vividly because it was the first time I had ever seen tears in his eyes. He must have been scared for me and never expressed this to me.
  • Ugh, I wish I could have been knocked out before I got into the O.R. Sitting in the O.R. watching them work around you and set things up, and counting tools, and seeing all the equipment is scary. My first surgery they gave me Valium beforehand, because I have bad anxiety, and my anxiety that day was so bad my temp went from it's normal 96/97, to 102. They gave me the Valium and it went back down to 96/97. I was only in the O.R. awake with that surgery for maybe 5 minutes, then they had me breathe in with the mask and they didn't even tell me that's what it was, so I wasn't nervous at all. Haha. My fusion surgery, though, I was awake in there for a good 15, 20 minutes. They had me awake while they positioned me on the table, and gave me blankets and pillows, and we talked and laughed and then one nurse sat down with me and was like, telling the other nurses we were having some medication cocktails as she injected things into my IV, and then I was out before they even put the mask on. Haha. But the anxiety I get sitting awake in the O.R. suuuuucks.
  • I was told to take all my regular meds thet morning before surgery. I took my blood pressure meds (propolanol and HCTZ) and my two vicodin. The vicodin made the wait before I got my "happy drugs" more comfortable.
advertisement