Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Revision!? I feel alone (sniff)

alcbaalcb Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:''( Anyone out there with revision/2nd surgery??? I had PLIF 11/07, but they couldn't do anything with my spondy at L5/S1. Now, pain is still there and they suspect movement in that space (no disc left). I THOUGHT they would do an ALIF to cage it, but now surgeon says it would be a 360. He's sending my case off to Duke and UNC (I live in NC) for second/third opinions. I have an appt on 1/22 to review what comes back, and to decide what to do. Anyone have anything to share as for going back in? I just dread it! :S Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• I am also waiting for my 2nd revision surgery. I had a PLIF on 6/4/08 for Spondy from a work related injury. I have continued to have horrible back and leg pain related to L4/L5. The surgery is considered a failure. I finally had to stop working and the doctor ordered a new MRI in November. The cage (graft) that was put in has backed its way out of the disk space by 7mm thus the pain as it is impinging on the L5 nerve. The doctor is unsure whether I have fused. He stated much of what he will do depends on what he finds inside. He may or may not remove the hardware. He stated the MRI showed granulation (scare tissue) within the surgical site and he must be very careful as the scare tissue is hard to work around/with. He is mainly concerned right now with the cage and preserving the L5 nerve without damage. The doctor stated he was sorry and he would take very good care of me. I have been waiting since November to get the surgery approval. I finally got the approval and the surgery is scheduled for Jan. 7th. Yeah!!!

I am also very nervous but it has to be done there is no other option. I just want to be pain free and hopefully will have a better year. Take care and ask lots of questions.

• I feel for you and you seem to be in so much pain. Nothing I can say or do will make you feel better, but I hope you know I care about you and am hoping all this will be over with the next surgery. You are stonger then I would ever be!
    I have had two cervical surgeries-same place but know that does not compare with your procedures.

I'm sure others backies will come to your aid-till then, Take care and have heart!
  • Oh man, I can't wait to go back under!!!! I had a 2 level TLIF 6/07. No fusion but BMP caused bone to grow on nerve roots in addition to other issues. I've had one surgery on one side(could only do one becuz I am not fused) and now getting ready for next surgery. I remember the original surgery(different surgeon) where I hyperventilated the whole way to the hospital, demanded(well, they probably very willingly gave it) lots of Versed in the preop area becuz I was so nervous.

1st clean up surgery if I could have skipped down the hallway to the room I would have. Probably could have beat that Olympic sprinter Bolt's time. I KNEW it was going to make me better so I welcomed it.

Now I'm coming up on the 2nd clean up surgery. I've actually gone to my surgeon's office appointments NPO just in case he was free that afternoon and had figured out what all needed to be done in surgery! :) OK, that's a little crazy but I want surgery so bad so I can get back to my life!

I'm sure I'll be my normal controlling self for this next surgery(I like to chit chat with anesthesia and find out exactly what drugs, who is tubing me. I know the staff REALLY appreciates my attention to detail. haha.) But, I'm a pro at it now and know that it will help. Shoot, I'm such a big girl at back surgery now I don't even need Versed in the preop holding area.

Try to keep in mind that this surgery is to help relieve your pain and get you back to your life. I'm an RN with 3 busy kids, too, and I just can't wait! Good luck!
  • alcb said:
    :''( Anyone out there with revision/2nd surgery??? I had PLIF 11/07, but they couldn't do anything with my spondy at L5/S1. Now, pain is still there and they suspect movement in that space (no disc left). I THOUGHT they would do an ALIF to cage it, but now surgeon says it would be a 360. He's sending my case off to Duke and UNC (I live in NC) for second/third opinions. I have an appt on 1/22 to review what comes back, and to decide what to do. Anyone have anything to share as for going back in? I just dread it! :S Thanks!
    hi, I am in the process of a revision, work comp just approved my up-coming surgery, today i will call and schedule, well i had L-4 L-4 and S-i. who know what went wrong but i need to take everything out and go higher the doc recommeneds an L-4 to S-1 fusion, up to L-2-3 and including L-3L4 it was felt they say that i would benefit i decieded to go with CINN chicago institute of neurosurgery and neurorsearch,,thats all i can say for now but i am scared
advertisement