Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trouble with meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi y'all,

I'm new to all this chat and forum stuff, but after five years of dealing with chronic pain on my own, I can't do it anymore. I had a failed back surgery including spinal fusion S1 through L4 and laminectomy on three discs. After my surgery, my left leg was paralyzed and the surgeon said I would be fine if I went to physical therapy. It took me six months to be able to walk again. Been to three surgeons, non think surgery will help, on my third pain managment doc. I have 60 percent use of my left leg and five years later the docs finally agree I have nerve damage, which so far as I know, is irreversible. New doc put me back on lyrica. Stopped taking it the first time because it gave me vertigo and afffected my vision. It's great for the pain, but the side affects are really bothering me. Does anyone else have trouble with lyrica? Do the side affects subside?

Also wondering if any of you are tired of docs being more concerned about pill counts and DEA agreements than their patients? A far as I can tell I don't even take high doses of oxycontin and my previous docs always counted pills and asked me all kinds of questions about them before they even asked how I'm doing...

:? Anyway, tired of dealing with all of this by myself and hope to find someone to talk with.

Docs, and meds bringing me down,

JL
advertisement

Comments

• It's unfortunate DRs son't believe your pain. I had problems with Lyrica the first couple of months and am taking 600 mg a day. I had dizziness and feeling tired and puffy legs. I sometimes feel tired still but helps with sciatica. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome to SH. I'm sorry for what you've been thru and you'll find a lot of people here have similar backgrounds. I can understand your frustration b/c I had 2 surgeries on L4-S1. The first was a microdiscectomy/laminectomy for herniations on those levels listed above. My back pain and sciatica never improved. I knew something was wrong when I woke up from surgery. Nothing turned out like I thought it would be. This year I had a 2 two level fusion/laminectomy and it hasn't worked out either. I'm stuck with intractable chronic pain but am grateful to be under my pain mgt. care.
    We are living in difficult times now because of people abusing the system and making it hard for ones with legit pain to get care. It's frustrating and I hope you are able to get the treatment you need, esp. with all the hardships you have experienced. Have you ever tried a neurostimulator or morphine pump trial? I might try it out in the future, but for now I take my medications and cope the best I can.
    JL, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to hearing from you. Take care